Agnostic.com

12 9

Flashbacks of the 2016 election

As a lifelong Democrat, I am used to setbacks. I endured the Bush and Reagan presidencies and the Iraq war.

But nothing prepared me for the shock, grief, trauma and demoralization when Trump was elected president. I felt depressed for months.

Today on election day, I feel nervous and afraid to hope after the 2016 election debacle. I have "the trots," as my funny mother put it. Nerves.

This evening, I will join local Democrats to watch election returns. They are ordering pizza. I'm making chewy-gooey, dark chocolate brownies, and a platter of fresh vegetables to go with it.

Ultimately, what helped me pull out of it was participating in rallies and marches- surrounded by like-minded people- and registering new voters.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You're cool. ??

It's one of the things about this place. I get to see there are still good fellow human beings out there.

All set for the Democrat election watch party.

That shirt is the bomb! I love that! It describes Trump to a T!

@Stilltrying1964

Thanks so much! I appreciate you.

I am going to do my best to isolate myself from everything until tomorrow. The I'll just let the news hit me.

My boys and I will watch together as long as they can stay awake. I hope for at least the house to keep this dictator in check.
Wear blue tonight and have a brownie for me!

With blue pants, I'm wearing a T-shirt that says:

Super
Callous
Fragile
Racist
Sexist
Not My Potus!

@LiterateHiker that’s so freaking awesome!

I'm thinking of you all over there. It'll all be alright. I am here for you all if anyone needs to escape 😉

Appreciate all you do!

@Bobbyzen

Thank you!

@LiterateHiker I especially like your Ban Assault Weapons Now sign, taking nothing away from the other signs. I’ve only supported candidates who specifically call for that ban. Any Democrat that gets into office tonight on an “enact common-sense gun laws”
platform must be lobbied hard to represent the majority of people calling for the assault weapons ban. We can do this! Thank you for your big heart and love for all ?????

I agree,I was numb for a long time afterwards.

I just went out and bought four bottles of wine, I’m ready for either outcome, but will have much less if the Blue Wave happens. Spending the evening with my step-son watching results.

I’m a nervous wreck, too. Heading to our county Dem HQ to watch election returns.

@ADKSparky

Thank you for saying that. I don't feel so alone. Hugs.

@LiterateHiker My daughter even made Hillary cookies for the evening. Then the air went out of the room.

I do remember the punch in the gut feeling when Trump was elected . I just couldn't believe it, and was outraged for months. I knew it was going to be miserable, but I just didn't know how horrible it was going to be. I'll be at work when the election results roll in. I'm holding my breath, but trying not to get my hopes up

@Kojaksmom

Appreciate your understanding. Hang in there.

Kate and I were watching the tv as trump won the election and it was being announced. I will not forget the experience as I spent the next two hours talking Kate out of suicide. She was convinced that her medical insurance options were gone and knowing we could not afford the expense came to a much not wanted conclusion. I talked her out of it and so far so good. Trump is a disaster, so are his supporters. Every day is a gift.

@dalefvictor the look on Trump's face when he found out he won said all. He had a tremendous amount of fun and got all the narcissistic Supply off of running for president. I don't think even he thought that he was going to win. That look on his face when he election results rolled in was one of disbelief and fear.

I have never identified with either party and have voted Republican almost as much as Democrat. However... I smelled the stench of Trump coming from miles away. I felt the same anguish as you. BUT... I thought, "He is my president so I will fall in behind him!"

Then he opened his stupid mouth and there was no way I could support ANYTHING he said or did! I am hoping for the Blue Wave tonight to take some of that bad taste out of my mouth!

You needed way more signs . Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:217156
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.