Agnostic.com

11 4

I feel like the atheist community needs to do more charity work. Any suggestions? Know of any good groups that are already operating?

BrianHut 3 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheist community????

You need to be an atheist to want to help people?

Centre For Inquiry

Richard Dawkins Foundation for Science and Reason

Foundation beyond belief
Humanists uk
Richard dawkins foundation
Freedom from religion foundation
Charitable organization
Camp quest
The clergy project
Center for inquiry

Hi Brian, Here is what I do: I support a nearby thrift shop and food bank by donations, eating at their free lunch to meet with fellow poor people and pick up food boxes for my neighbors who cannot get out. You meet the most interesting folks at those lunch events! I prefer to do charity work in my local communities, in small events but steadily and reliably. It helps living in the country for a long time. Peace!
Spinliesel

Atheists are the most charitable demographic in the U.S.. You can always do more though.

As far as I know there is no atheist 'community' out there in the real world rather than the internet and you only have to look on the internet to see what groups are operating read what they do ad pick the one you like. I live in sheltered accomodation and I mend clothes, iron ,an do washig for people who are unable they give me money - whatever they want to give and when I get up to Ā£100.00, I send it iff to charity - I send to any charity at all any one that asks me to send to their charity I do.

I donate blood and blood components often and right now donating to provide refugee services to the undocumented. I get a lot of joy out of both.

Charity should be from the heart and personal, donate to the causes you support.

Yeah, many smaller churches in small towns do a lot of charity work which actually does help people even if it is tied to religion.

There are atheists and humanist presences on Kiva and the beyond belief foundation is another but my local humanist and atheist groups are so small that all monies collected go to operating expenses. They do some volunteer work- particularly the retired academics and teachers but they are all older so you won't find them building houses and such.

I am looking for a charity to do volunteer work for and religion has that stuff locked down in my area

My granddaughter had begged me to pay for her to join a running group that has a local chapter then decided not to because her friends decided not to. I called them and donated it to a child that has the desire and aptitude but lacks the funds. I never would have thought to do that had my granddaughter not pulled her little stunt. It didn't occur to me label myself as a humanist either but then again I was annoyed with my granddaughter soooooo.

I think I will do that every year from now on and perhaps that is all that I can do in this area for now.

I was always taught that actions speak louder than words, first, it would be nice to have a physical community, then organize charity events that people can attend or donate to. Iā€™m not a fan of donating to charity because I donā€™t always agree with how the money is spent. When I was in a group home, we constantly went on trips to amusement parks and other such distractions instead of learning life skills, so I figure thatā€™s where the money goes and donā€™t donate to childrenā€™s homes. Itā€™s hard to tell whoā€™s in need vs who has their hand out.

I should also point out that I have done a great deal of community service before I moved out of my parents place and got a full time job, Iā€™d list some off, but the list is exhausting.

Look for something less mainstream. A club or activity that requires fees or equipment and sponsor a child. My daughter cannot afford to pay for her children's sports activities because she is a single mother. That is where I come in but I have occasionally helped another child.

For example, it costs around $500 bucks for a boy to play kiddie football for a year with much of it being equipment. That is something you can support and know where the money went

I want to add that not all of that money is due at once. They need the equipment by a certain date but not immediately

@SherryMartin It is really a financial struggle for young parents today.

@Leutrelle true story.

I think you are right. We need a agnostic charitable site that we can donate to, for disaster relief, homeless relief, and children's charity. If we want to be recognized then we must be organized. Money talks and bull shit walksšŸ˜‰

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21749
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.