Agnostic.com

22 2

Who else will ignore Valentine's day?

I will tell all those close to me that I love them. But I do that often anyway. It happens to land on ash wednesday this year so there will be no rehearsal (I don't care, but the director is also a church musician, so he'll be busy). I will probably spend the evening reading. What, will you do?

chicagojcb 7 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always have! It was some FF-ing capitalist that probably owned a chocolate company that bribed a politician to make Valentine's Day a official holiday. Your dammed if you do and most certainly dammed if you don't. I'd rather show love when I'm in the mood, and not because the calendar says I should!

I completely agree.

I will be getting my cats some heart shaped cat nip treats.

I had to look up what ash Wednesday is... Rehearsal for what?

I definitely won't go out to dinner as everywhere will be packed. I'll hang with my dog and maybe my BFF or...

My group that performs soon in a concert for a Handel Festival happens to rehearse on Wednesdays.

I love Valentine's Day! Actually, I don't care about Valentine's Day itself, but I love when all the damned candy goes on sale for ridiculously low prices the following day. I like the Monday after easter and the first of November too.

JimG Level 8 Feb 7, 2018

As I am in retail, I am pretty cynical about what I call VD ayyyy

My duties are inventory control/ pricing integrity related so I will be tasked with handling the markdowns. I will get the grandkids their favorite candy and they are fine with it because they understand that they get twice as much by waiting a day.

My last 3 relationships which ranged over a 20+ year period were also in retail so even though we made token attempts, we were both of the same mindset

I am one of those people that think if you have to be forced to show appreciation on a holiday, then your relationship has issues

I think I’ll go grocery shopping, lines should be low. I thought about getting some people having a hard time with Valentine’s Day some chocolate, so I may still act sporadically, not sure how I’ll feel later.

No they won't. You'd be surprised how many people are buying roses, beer and wine at the last minute. But I like your idea. There are a couple of people I work with that are single and sad about it. I may leave something in their work areas anonymously.

People think I am an asshole and I like it that way

@SherryMartin I spent my time shoveling snow, an hour and 45 minuets, and the roads are nasty.

I do Valentine themed stories and crafts for the kids at school (I'm a school librarian) but I do nothing for myself or anyone else. It's just another day.

But now that you mention it, do you (or anyone else here) do Valentine-y things (like give cards or flowers) for people you love but not in a romantic way? In other words, do you consider Valentine's day to be strictly for romantic love or just for love in general? I always thought it was weird to give Valentines to parents or children, but I think most people don't find it weird at all.

Valentine's day is a Hallmark holiday. I only celebrate if I am going out with someone who cares about it. In my experience, after elementary school, it is for romantic love.

Love in general.

Sadly I will be celebrating it, as I have no lady.... Any offers considered.

Valentine's Day? Am I supposed to do something I would not on other days?

Gert Level 7 Feb 7, 2018

My wife and I both ignore all holidays. They are folk festivals of sorts and we are both recluses and therefore we obstain from those meaningless non-events.

Give your best to your people everyday.

Read my book for my book club. Valentine's Day has become, like other holidays, very commercial.

I plan on doing nothing out of the ordinary for the day.

It is a rather auspicious occasion down under, 52 years since we switched from sterling to decimal currency, other than that tis a great big zero in my books.

You don't know how lucky you are. The US is still all imperial, except the dollar. Hate it. Still use Metric and Celsius, although I am forced to use imperial anyway. It's even hard to find a ruler with inches as well as centimeters. Hard but possible.

I'll be doing my Spanish homework.

I think it's overrated, designed to sell cards and candy, and makes people feel awful if they're not in a relationship or the relationship they're in makes them unhappy. I'm treating it like any other day.

Stock up on choclate the day after.

I just lost the boyfriend...ohhh...well..I like flowers hearts candy...why not celebrate??, it means love....

Valentine is a made up holiday. Read my post about it.

[norealgod.com]

I got a bottle of Jameson's and World of Tanks to get me by. That and Motorhead.

@Dispirited I got a handful of tier VI cruisers and BBs if you're interested in convoying.

not a holiday i have paid attention to since 3rd grade

I love Valentine's Day! Actually, I don't care about Valentine's Day itself, but I love when all the damned candy goes on sale for ridiculously low prices the following day. I like the Monday after easter and the first of November too.

JimG Level 8 Feb 7, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21752
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.