Agnostic.com

9 2

I want to know if there are others on this site, that is having the same kind of problem that I am. I need to spell my words in my mind, real fast or I loose some of my ability to spell. When I 'loose' my way, then I am depending on this Samsung phone spell check, to give me correct spelling. Sometimes it does, sometimes not and at other times, 'spellcheck' will just add on letters at the end of a word! And, I remember back when I worked on my computer, I could spell, better! I get so exasperated, with this phone writing, it interferes with my writing ability! What is my problem aside from this technology not acclimated to older people's brain?

Freedompath 9 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Inability to spell is related to a lack of comprehension. Learning a foreign language or two will help enormously.

Basically, you are trying to remember the correct letters that go to make the 'word' you want to say without thinking about what that word means.

That might mean that you don't comprehend what that 'word' means.

Break it down into morphemes: eg, encourage = in - heart - thing; understand = below - position; conceptual = with - idea - like; ideological = thought - speak - ness.

Am I making any sense at all?

Yes, I have had much difficulty in learning any foreign language, even though I hear dialects quiet well! My spelling seems worse writing in this small space, than I do writing on the computer! Kinda funny! What you say makes sense...as I find a breakdown in finding the words to express my ideas! And, i am worse in this small space! No history with Alzheimer, but I am not waiting to be a first, either!

Oh, that would drive me crazy,too. Does your phone not auto correct, a feature designed by some evil developers to frustrate us older users. Just spell how it occurs to you . This is not grammar school.
Peace, sPINLIESEL

You can always turn the autocorrect off.

I am slightly dyslexic, in that I never really learnt to spell (the times table was never learnt either it sounded too much like brain washing). I can or could however remember the Ruy Lopez chess opening to 12 moves along with all its most popular variants. Nowadays I write on my computer. Each sentence is followed by my going though all the red lines for spellcheck. The more obsque I resort to my phone for guidance. In short use a laptop or desk computer.

I have a son that is dyslexic, so I have a very good idea how that works! At least it has nothing to do with intelligence!

@Freedompath It can be hereditary. Jackie Stewart the racing driver and his son both have it

@Freedompath I frequently find the word stuck on the tip of my tongue and it won't release itself. I have also never been very good at spelling and the Google android keyboard/ spell checker leaves a lot to be desired but the keyboard is stable. So simply I use the free dictionary from the Playshop...
"Get the power of TheFreeDictionary.com, the world's most comprehensive dictionary. English, Spanish, French, and 11 other languages, plus Medical, Legal, and other specialty dictionaries, all from the most trusted sources. Translate English into more than 40 languages and access dozens of other translation options. Share definitions via social networks, email, and text. Even use the English dictionary without an Internet connection."
I can flick to it in 2 moves and back in two - less if I use a split screen but prefer full screen display particularly when using a virtual keyboard.

Wow! Thanks!

When using my mind, I have to do just about everything real fast or I simply can't remember what I am wanting to do.

'Thank the lord, and pass the peas,'...I am not alone!

@Freedompath lol

Poor spelling and grammar are not related to our "old peoples brain". I have found that young people and phones produce poor spelling, grammar, etc. If you have a computer you can use a free program called "Grammarly" to keep your posts from looking like those of an illiterate. As for phones, I would not know inasmuch as the only thing I can do with my phone is voice calls.

I have not repaired my nearly new laptop, after Microsoft downloaded windows 10 into it...when they were supposed to download something else, before, they put 10 in! (No Microsoft want repair.) A friend has given me an i-pad, when I can get around to adapting myself to a new divice! Thanks!

@Freedompath Can't you restore it to factory condition from the factory restore partition? If you should do that, remember to save everything that you have created, eg: photos, videos, music, documents, anything that YOU have created. You can always reinstall any programs that you have installation programs for.

@jlynn37 I was told that I could do that, it has very little information stored on it! I must send it back myself, as far as I know. I will do some further checking, when I settle down...as I have sold condo now and get out...big job ahead!

@Freedompath You can definitely do that as long as the factory restore partition is still on the Hard drive.

Spellcheck just gives me sentences that are nothing to do with what I’m saying half the time

I find my spell check to be wrong sometimes on my LG V20 phone.

Try other keyboards or use Free dictionary sponsored by the baby food people.

There are some words on the spell check that even though they are spelled correctly the spell check keeps changing them, especially names.

I know, and that really riles me up...this as I am struggling to get my thoughts organized and then spell the words, too! It may all pay off though, with the brain, thing!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21762
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.