Agnostic.com

15 0

Who are your favorite classical artists?

Marine 8 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My first and still going strong love in the classical genre is the music of Alexander Scriabin. His music is so soulful and full of passion, sensuality, eroticism, and just shear beauty and poetry. And I was intrigued by the "unbuttoned" nature of his music that I had only experienced at the time in rock, soul, blues, and jazz music. At least one of the links below only worked when I directly pasted it into the address bar, so try that if it says that the video is no longer available.

The stormy but elegant piano etude which is probably most peoples' introduction to his music, as it was for me.
A quietly passionate, sensual, piano sonata movement. There's a performance which I could not find on youtube which comes closest to what I would describe as an aural representation of "deep, time-suspended love-making with a soulmate". This version here runs it a distant second, but is prettier in a more superficial sense.
A prime example of Scriabin's unique ability to compact such a world of emotion into the shortest spans. (The sound is very low on this video, so please adjust your volume up)
The mostly idyllic 2nd movement of his only piano concerto, which for me conjures the image of a Spring afternoon.
One of the better versions, though a little rushed in some places, of a melodically memorable, and sobbingly melancholy symphonic movement.
An intense, swooningly & morbidly erotic, piano & cello duet.
A roiling, vampiric (at least that's how it strikes me) piece, from his middle period when he still had one foot in tonality, the other in his own inimitable version of atonality.

I'm late to this party but I knew there'd be a thread for this 🙂

Dvorak. The new world symphony was one of the first pieces of classical music I truly just..had to hear over and over again. Still makes me tear up.

Second is Holst with the planets.

Third is Saint Saens with the danse macabe and danse bacchanale.

If we're talking about psiners my vote is for Caravaggio.

As for visual Classical art, Vermeer and Renoir come to mind first. All of them are interesting, especially paintings and scultures that tell a story or include iconography.

I agree totally. I like most artisrts of this period.

My favorite piece of Classical music is Vaughn Williams The Lark Ascending. It is so poignant & reminds me of the struggle between the artistic or spiritual soul and day to day drudgery of life, as I see it represented by a Bruegel the Elder painting of peasants working in a field. I have expressed to my family that I would like it to be played in remembrance when I'm gone.

I have enjoyed his music as well.Being 79 I seem to defer to the older composers as these are the ones I grew up with against my mothers prefered music polka's.

It is so beautiful.

Verdi for opera. Schubert for soft romantic. Mozart for humor. Love most requiems for foreboding.

Agree with all of them also love Verdi opera's

Assuming you mean classical music, there are composers and performers to consider. Too many to list, but for starters, for the former, Bach, Mozart, Chopin, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi, Dvorak, and my personal favorite, Ludwig Van Beethoven. For the latter, Yo Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Anna Sophie Mutter, Christopher Parkening, Joshua Bell, and my new fave Lang Lang. ????

I could not agree more there is also the blind opera singer I cannot remember his name. We just saw him in NYC not to long ago and he was absolutely fantastic.

@Marine Andrea Bocelli!!!

Franz Liszt!! The rest are hacks, ha ha. The man was mad, absolutely mad on the piano.

@orange_girl No, I've not seen it.

@orange_girl I'll have to check it out.

Orange Thanks for the referal.

Leonard Bernstein, composer of classical and Broadway gems, great conductor and mentor to so many young artists. Placido Domingo, tenor and conductor, manager or two opera companies and mentor to so many up and coming vocal artists. Toscanini, great conductor and who stood up to Mussolini, Pavarotti, Bjoerling, Renee Fleming, Janai Brugger (a new upcoming gorgeous singer), Joshua Bell, Vladimir Horowitz, Charles Munch, great conductor and Albert Schweitzer's son-in-law,etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...............

I have enjoyed them all I grew up with Szell at the Cleveland SYN. He played right on campas of Case Western Reserve University where I attended.

I currently have the great good fortune to live in Chicago, near one of the greatest Symphony Orchestras in the world, currently being directed by one of the greatest conductors of our time. I have a 10-concert series. It's worth every penny.

Beyond that, my next round of favorite artists are Yo Yo Ma, Itzak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and the Kronos Quartet.
and beyond THAT, the next round contains too many people and groups to mention.

Composers or artists? My all-time favorite performance was that of Slomo Minsk, playing the violin in his performance of Max Bruch's Violin Concerto Number 1 in G Minor.

I am really fond of any minor key melody

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn..

Grew up listoning to these and they remain my favorites.

Gustav Holst. Mars will always be a beacon in the darkest gloom.

Many actually..Mendelsohn, Beethoven, Solgeiri, Bach. ..

Spike Jones and his City Slickers. Who remembers him?

Yes I do I even went to his performance Twice as my father really like him and knew him personally.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21890
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.