Agnostic.com

15 5

A bit of a thought experiment.

Imagine that 14 billion years ago (around the time of the "big bang" and the start of our universe) a entirely separate "big bang" occurred 42 billion light years away. The light from that universe will not reach the outer edge of our universe for many billions of years or so, and the light from ours will not reach them for about the same amount of time... is belief that a seperate universe exists irrational?

NelsonofNelson 4 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, because while we know it's perfectly plausible, disregarding some small oversights in your scenario, such as the early inflationary expansion of the universe was not limited to the speed of light, however our universe was at that time constricted to a singularity all that existed was compacted into a space smaller than an atom. If the big bang theory is correct, and it's the best one to date, 42 billion light years away didn't exist.
Also, the universe is already larger than 42 billion light years in radius, so unless your theoretical universe began on the opposite side of the universe from earth, we'd have been impacted by its expansion already.

JimG Level 8 Feb 8, 2018

I'm not an astrophysicist, but,... I don't know if the original "distance" makes any difference. It would be pushed even further away but the expansion of "our" universe. & then one has to wonder, are the "laws" of physics, & our physical "constants", such as the values for the strong & weak atomic forces, gravity, etc. the same & what would happen if they interacted? Also, our universe ended up with what we consider "matter" as dominant vs "anti-matter". What if the other universe went the other way? It seems it would be just as likely. Just a few extra ideas thrown in there to keep things lively!

Plus,...

That assumes that space exists independently from the universe itself and that the universe is expanding into it. This is not the view of modern cosmology. The Big Bang made space itself. At least the dimensions that we know about. Other "universes" are certainly possible and even, in my view, likely. They do not exist in our space though they may at times affect it. So something like what you are considering is possible though the cosmology is more complex.

your argument is contradictory and you are confusing time with distance, please rephrase the question . you can not compare a time of 14 billion years with A Distance of 4.2 billion "light years"

42 billion light years is a distance... unless you're making the kessel run.

I think he's assuming that the universe is expanding at light speed.

@JimG no but I am assuming that light will travel at that speed... or do you believe that the "big bang" was a dark affair.

No, but I'll never be able to prove it, since if I/we could see it they would not be separate. I think

I find belief that there is only one to be irrational.

There is a term multiverse.This is based on the theory of eternal inflation,which suggests that shortly after the Big Bang that formed the universe,space-time expanded at different rates in different places.According to the eternal inflation theory this gave rise to bubble universes that may function with their own law of physics.

The short answer is yes.

However, no knowledge is 100% certain. Every truth is based on a probability of it being correct. The higher the probability, the more likely it is true. The lower the probability, the more unlikely it is true. That is why we test and re-evaluate.

The descriptive part of your premise is not required. Much of quantum physics posits multiple universes.

It's a bit more complicated than that; if these two "universes" could see each other, then by definition, they would exist in and be part of the same universe. If multiple universes do exist, we cannot be aware of them through any conventional scientific observance. The possibility has been shown mathematically, but is only theory at this time.

godef Level 7 Feb 7, 2018

Beyond our knowledge or our capability to determine.

Nope.... you see its what you think that matters.

I don't think so at all. In nature, the physical world, I don't think there is only one of anything. Multiple stars, planets, galaxies, etc... . Why would we assume there is only one universe? Because we don't know of any others? I don't know of a lot of things but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Not according to theorists who talk about the "multiverse". Consider yourself in good company.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21927
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.