Agnostic.com

6 0

Being a freethinker ...part 2

Imagine the following situation: Your local airport is adding a new terminal building. During the construction a large steel and concrete wall falls onto a parked airplane completely encompassing it.

After the dust settles what would you expect to see? Does the post collision result depend on the height from which the wall falls or the speed with which the wall hits the aircraft?

gregoryL 5 Nov 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would expect to see the wall bounce off the plane ..

I expect that the circular frame of the airplane be off a higher structural integrity than simple aluminum. But steel and concrete are fairly dense and if large enough to "completely encompass" then it wins against the hull of the plane.

An interesting science experiment is to hold your hands with the fingers interlocked as I'd your are praying. Turn your hands upside down and open your palms keeping the fingers together. Place an egg lengthwise between your palms and squeeze. It is very hard to crush that egg. It can be done but it takes a lot of pressure. Turn the egg sideways and it crushes easily.

If it encompasses it, I imagine it would have to be pretty damn high. Planes are made mostly of aluminum, so steel and concrete win, speed be damned.

I can't get past the local airport part. There's not much going on they're right now. I'm having a hard time picturing it.

I think that what you are supposed to spot is that hight and speed at impact are one of the same. But as MarvelAnn points out there are too many variables, and does the wall fall vertically, or like most walls by falling over. If this is supposed to be a smart trick question it could be much better framed, this is just a muddle. Sorry to be harsh but, "could try harder".

The intention is not to trick. Just curious about folks gut feel about a collision between an aircraft and a steel and concrete wall.

Post. As in a suppprting structure or as in afterwards? I don’t understand the question very well outside of that either. What are you asking?

Sorry for the confusion...post as in afterwards.

I am probing peoples intuition regarding a collision involving an airplane and a steel and concrete wall.

@gregoryL I get that. I’m just confused on exactly what you are asking. What aspect of the collision? Are you askin whether the collision happens or not? Are you asking the force of the collision?

Also, seeing as how the height of the wall will determine it’s speed when falling, then the two answers are equivalent.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:220399
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.