Agnostic.com

10 2

QUESTION Is Football too Violent?

My nephew posted this on FB with the tag: Throw back Lawrence Taylor smash mouth football. I mean, the way it's edited is pretty cool, but?

I saw the movie Concussion, so I think perhaps some additional precautions should be taken, but would it ruin the game? I'm not sure, if you compare what footballers use to wear in the early 20th century to now, they do wear a lot more protection. What do you think?

BeeHappy 9 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope; just too boring. 😉

Jnei Level 8 Feb 8, 2018

For both the players and the spectators, violent sports help satisfy a natural appetite for conflict that would otherwise require war-making. Let them play. They would come home from war in much worse condition... if they came home at all.

skado Level 9 Feb 8, 2018

Are you saying that if we didn't have football, hockey, boxing, then we would be more likely to be a war with each other?

@BeeHappy Maybe. I've always thought sports served to vent our natural competitiveness in relatively harmless ways.

Competitiveness can be vented playing a good old game of Scrabble! LOL 😉

@BeeHappy The mental part, yes, but some folks like the physical part, and the danger.

You haven't played Scrabble with me, it can get physical and dangerous. LOL. 🙂

Sorry, I know what you mean.

For children yes. I loathe the idea of parents letting kids play football. If adults want to engage in such behavior then they can do so once their frontal lobes are mature enough to make good judgement

While most football injuries are accidental, how does this compare to the "sport" of boxing ?
where the object is to deliberately damage the brain into a state of unconsciousness.. Whoever wins this battle is considered to be a great hero. Each vicious punch sends the skull flying while the stationary brain within is pulverised, as it is slammed into the skull in the opposite direction of the punch. Imagine the damage done with a of a flurry of such punches...... I would stick to football, and take my chances.

I agree.

Joyce Carol Oates loveth such consanguine shedding

Spearing is already banned and zero deliberate attacks upon the helmet

Maybe men's heads have evolutionarily become just too soft and vulnerable since we stopped whacking each other with clubs at every opportunity.

Hahaha....

I can't watch it now, knowing the permanent brain damage happening with each clash. Same thing happens in soccer, when players use "headers" to hit the ball.

Heading a soccer ball causes instant brain changes, study finds [wapo.st]

Two thoughts: one idea is that more protection has allowed more brutal hitting. Soccer is held up as an example of keeping the padding off results in keeping the injuries down. The second thought is that I saw a high school's tee shirt for their football team that said "We will win, Any time, Any place, Any way". Methinks we have lost our sense of sport and moved into the kill or be killed arena.

The problem with the enhanced protection is that it does virtually nothing to prevent the physical movement of the brain inside the skull, which is what, effectively, causes concussions. There is really no way to prevent it when heads get banged together, or impacted forcefully in almost any way. There was a study done on woodpeckers awhile back to see how they could hammer trees so hard and rapidly, and not suffer brain damage. Of course, the study wasn't all that productive considering woodpeckers evolved over, what?, millions of years to be able to peck wood without concussing their little bird brains.

Bread and circuses...

has always been my thought as well

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22055
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.