Agnostic.com

8 4

POLL ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons Fires Opening Act Over Singer Wearing Trump Hat - Sofa-King-Cool - Magazine - Entertainment News

Ok, we are all protected by the 1st Amendment "Freedom of Speech." Freedom of Speech means the government can't throw your sorry arse in jail for saying whatever it was you were babbling about. It doesn't protect you from getting fired from your job from saying, wearing, or doing something stupid. Was ZZ Top doing a good thing here or not?

• 5 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 5 votes
UrsiMajor 8 Nov 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love them even more for doing that

I have mixed feelings here. Of course it's Gibbons' decision ultimately, but he hired them beforehand because he thought they were really good and qualified to do what they do, but then fired them when he found out the person's political leaning. If businesses did that, then nobody would have a job. It's not like the guy did anything actively to get fired. He didn't not fulfill his obligations to his job, and he didn't do anything illegal. It is what it is though and it's perfectly legal. Most states allow for firing employees for no reason at all. It does seem fucked up though.

Normally, I would agree with you but I don't think that the term 'political leaning' would apply in these days. These are not normal times. Wearing a trump hat means that you support racism, bullying in general, sexism and lying ..just to name a few things that it represents. That is what supporting trump means. I don't think that falls under political leaning.

@patchoullijulie Contrary to popular belief, people support Trump for different reasons. All Trump supporters are not those things you mentioned. It's not like he's Hitler. The coal miners who naively believed that Trump would bring back coal jobs most likely aren't those things, although some of them might be. A lot of people who voted for Trump were naive, but I think that was their only fault.

So if they wore a Clinton hat and the main act was of conservative leanings, then the people saying this is ok would also be ok with the person wearing the Clinton hat being fired then? The argument can be that Clinton was not loyal to his wife and was sexually promiscuous or that Hillary is also a liar and in corporations' "good graces". People can be offended at plenty of presidents and their lying and actions. What if he was wearing an Obama hat? Obama expanded Bush II's wars from 2 to 7 countries. People are offended at that and can argue it's morally reprehensible killing innocent people with drones.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but not always when they're on the clock.

I got no problem with it. His tour his way.

I'll support him on that !

Sorry Republicans and Trumpers but stuff like this is basically your fault. Your embracing of a president that so offends and off puts so many people, that respectfully disagreeing with the other side has been lost.......

A company or band has the right to shape the message or look that they want to project. Obviously Gibbons & Co. does not want to endorse racism, lying, treason, and general stupidity. Good on them!

I don't think it's "cool" that Billy Gibson fired his opening act. He has every right to do so if it's his tour, but to avoid a situation like this he probably should have done better research before hiring the guy.

I think it is cool that the band takes a firm, public position refusing to endorse or be associated with Trump. I don't want to see people lose their jobs, but I don't mind if a Trump supporter who crosses the line has to sit in the penalty box. Trumpism is anti-American.

@Flyingsaucesir Oh, don't get me wrong. I would have fired the guy too if I was Billy Gibson. I wouldn't want myself, band mates, or tour to be associated with Trump. I just thought the word "cool" was a strange choice for the poll options. If @UrsiMajor would have used the word "appropriate" or something similar then I would have voted differently.

@joeymf86 Changed the wording and added a "Need to see the conditions on the contract" option.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:220569
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.