Agnostic.com

8 1

A flat earther group is standing in a town square preaching that the earth is flat and the government is covering it. (Insert religious group here) yells "that is made up evidence and that there have pictures from space that proves the earth is round!". An Athiest tells the (Insert religious group here), "Hold on, you can't be talking like that, your religion is based on zero evidence as well."

Basically I believe that religious groups and flat-earthers both belong in the same category they both have zero evidence on what they claim and have no way on proving it.

Valhalla72 2 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I call groups like this "conspiracy theorists." We have the science, we can test the data, we've spent generations now studying this. But despite this, there are groups that deny the science. And why? To Creationists, the science is a trap from the pit of hell. To flat-earthers, the science is an attempt at holding us back... Behind every one of these groups are conspiracy theories, which is why they refuse to "believe" anything other than their own ideologies.

I'm actually using the flat-Earthers as a springboard into a critical thinking unit I'm building for my Jr. High students. The flat-Earthers aren't necessarily stupid people, they just have a belief that is...well...stupid. I want to show the students that smart people can believe dumb things and give them some thinking tools to ensure that they don't become one of them.

Good for you. Critical thinking should be mandatory across the board.

I don't even know what to say, I don't think there is a word for how stupid thinking the earth is flat.

Religion is based on a possibility. Flat Earthism is based on a proven impossibility, and reliance on conspiracy theories and evidence denial in a vain effort to make that impossibility possible.

I would liken Flat Earthism to Young Earth Creationism: the notion that the universe was literally created in 6 days, and that its age can be calculated by running through the timeline of the Bible. Both are demonstrably nonsense. But this is a relativelty recent bit of bonkers. Most Creationists worldwide don't believe that the Earth (and indeed the universe) literally took 6 days and nights to create.

Very well articulated.

I can prove that the Earth is flat using the Bible (old and new testament)

Great to see someone applying the strict rules of critical thinking... 😉

@Hominid if I can beat them in their own game, maybe they will change to a better one

How do you not know that Earth is an oblate spheroid? 🙂

See, I've got this really long measuring tape.......

If you are trying to prove your case with photos, then YOU need to step up YOUR understanding.

Its really easy once you spend some time studying the subject.

eg. "Why can't people in South America see the Pole Star" ?
"Why do the stars rotate in opposite directions at the Northern and Southern hemispheres."

Easy.

I find they don't reject facts, they ignore them and then change the subject.

Although that's true I don't see the point in talking about it, or even arguing with them.

Imagine if you tried that tactic with someone obese, who is eating junk food. You can lecture them all day about eating organic, whole food and taking daily walks but they don't care, and will never do it. They like their lifestyle and are comfortable with it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22059
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.