Agnostic.com

69 15

###blocking a god believer?

I came into this community for free enjoyable exchanges with reasonable folks who, like me, do not believe in religious mumbo-jumbo.
if you, as it happened to me now, would repeatedly stumble over someone's comments in regards to his/her belief in god & all the bs, would you rather block that person?

walklightly 8 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

69 comments (51 - 69)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with you. I didn't join here to have encounters with religionists either. I find it boring. After all, it's not hard in the real world for atheists to find believers to run into. Go to any religious place or group and there they are. Jesus, all I have to do is go jogging as I do most days and I'll run across Christian door knockers, bibles in hand, ready for a "Jesus loves ya baby" chat and big sell. I really would like a place where I can actually get away from the bastards! That said, the rules of the site are as stated, and I respect Admin's call on this, to allow anyone in as long as they respect the conditions. But @walklightly since you have raised the issue I just wanted to say my piece. I have asked several believers why they are actually here, and for the life of me I still can't work it out. They are not going to be influenced by non believers, and they are not going to change us, so what's the point. Since we are certainly "lost souls" from their view, why wouldn't they prefer to spend time with their fellow "saved". Beats me.

Absolutely and report them. They shouldn't be on this space at all, it sullies what is supposed to be our safe space.

i don,t get why if you believe in a god you would want to have anything to do with this group . curious ? convert the group? just saying

Maybe they are ready to convert though? Some people need help out the bog.

As long as they are not disruptive I would not block. I believe everyone should have a voice,

I hear ya! My long time theist friend recently told me all about his alcoholic father and him finally trying to come to god and religion as his health got worse. The man was in and out of church and my friend tells me as he went to the hospital with his father on that final trip you could see it in the dying man's eyes. He claims he could see it that the man knew he had screwed up with god and this was his final trip. He was dying and there was no salvation or no way out, etc., etc.

No, no, no! Are you a face and mind reader? Leave gods out of this picture please. Did the dying father possibly know he was dying? Yes, this part can be true. All the rest you are simply making up.

Block them for sure if make more than 2 attempts to drive there dogma down your throat. I joined this site to talk to open minded and non 2 faced people. I've felt more excepted by this community in the last 5 mos. than all the years, I was involved in the religious bs.

thank you for the encouragement. i have a tendency to be torn between tolerance of even the most funnily tantrum-throwing delusionist & the desire for a state of freedom-from-religion clarity - but of course, if the theist isn't tolerant of my refusal to believe, then that option is already broken.

Only if they tried to push their religious slant on life in my direction more than once, the first time they would be politely told that's not of interest to me and I'm willing to chat without their god interrupting

that's the thing: i haven't met a delusionist here yet who would not repeatedly flaunt his mental disorder.

@walklightly then block them 🙂

No I would not block them. I would not encourage them to discuss religion, when and if they did discuss it, I would be minimalist if att all in my reply. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 9, 2018

I do quite feel that’s its important to to be fair to everyone. This is what makes the world go around. Tollerence is no burden to carry and makes us better and more understanding for it. Put the shoe on the other foot for a moment and consider if most or all other people you know had not your opinion re God and did not interface or speak with you, how would you feel? James

Leon Level 5 Feb 9, 2018

i consider myself as a loner, always have. as such i am used to tolerate all sorts of callous, condescending attitudes & ridicule from people including holier-than-thou folks who don't have the broad spectrum outlook on life & humanity, instead narrowing it down to "normal" & "abnormal". this site is my refuge from that ilk.

It's possible . I only tollerate so much . . . . 😟

Dougy Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

I think blocking is a last resort, unless you are being harassed. I would either counter the argument, or ignore them, otherwise. If you feel that that person is singling you out, blocking or reporting may be the way to go.

I'm pretty tolerant, but there is a point where I get tired of the mindless bulkshit. I don't block people, but if they only post fairy tale nonsense, hateful garbage, and conservative propaganda, I will modify news feed so I don't see their crap.

JimG Level 8 Feb 8, 2018

I ran into a troll in January.

Can you block someone on Angostic.com? How is this done?

Clicking on their name below their picture/non-picture and clicking the red link that says block.

@Donotbelieve I have sent several messages to @admin regarding similar issues. Tagging them here so they see this. They are very responsive and will undoubtedly ask you to send you a link to the page where you see them - even if it is in your "Who is following me."

@BlueWave hmmm, I don't find any such link... Ill keep looking

@MrLink Click on somebody's face. Anybody. When their profile shows up, scroll your eyeballs to the right. Scroll your eyeballs down. You see the words "Date Joined," right? Look right below that. Try it. You can also just as easily undo a block.

I don't block the believers. I just just ignore the bs of religion on god,etc. I ignored the religious my mom told at easter dinner. I do wish I told I was an atheist and she would have live with it.

No, no, no, don’t block them. We all need entertainment. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 19, 2018

point is, i'm not that much of a masochist, especially when it comes to entertainment. the reason why i came HERE 🙂

but i can send them to you, James...? 😉

Its difficult to have a free exchange of ideas without differing opinions.

@SACatWalker well, the title of the site is agnostic not atheist.com. I'm assuming you know the difference between the two, so a theological discussion doesn't seem to be out of the line of expectations for this particular site.

If you don't want to hear about religion, and will block people who talk about it that's of course your right/prerogative to follow.

I don't mind that other people believe in God or religion as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on me. If that belief makes them feel good or helps them better themselves then more power to them. I prefer having conversations and the free flow of ideas than just blocking everything I don't agree with.

@walklightly Lol. I have just learnt from the responses to your post that someone has blocked me and I don't even recall having responded to a comment of theirs let alone sent them a message. Hey ho. As I've always said "based on arithmetical averages half of the world will disagree with everything that you say so when you hold views that 80% or more of the world population does not espouse expect the number to be greater". I do find it sad however that person who banned me didn't have the spinal fortitude to tell me that they were banning me from their view or even say why. Another person banned me because I had the temerity to argue that a woman has no right to tell a man how he should feel about a male characteristic until she has had a sex change and experienced life as a man. I am curious however as to why her photo appears every day in the online and recent visitors photos at the top of my screen if I am not supposed to see her.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.