Agnostic.com

57 4

Did you have trouble accepting your lack of belief in religion when you realized you were atheist/agnostic?

I think I was even more relieved at the most tbh and didn’t care to admit to myself I didn’t believe this anymore.

EmeraldJewel 7 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, for me it was a long process from the doubt of my leader, to doubt the institution, to doubt the accuracy of scriptures, then the religion itself.
In the middle, moving around and loosing the emotional reinforcement of the cults and community.
In the end was very natural when I realized that I was atheist.
And even going steps ahead as Agnostig or Ignostic, where the concept of god becomes irrelevant or even a concept that can't be discussed because there is no good definition for it.

I'm 2 days post . I have what I identify as a sort of emotional hole left, however its just kinda there. I'm not exactly concerned about it. Its actually a relief almost "irrigating an infected wound." I think my struggle was more so hating myself for being so smart and "self-inflicting" utterly ridiculous drivel.

no. no troul0le at all

I tried to make myself believe for twenty years because my family believed. I struggled with being a failed theist for another ten. When I became an open atheist I finally felt free.

I was very young when I came to the conclusion that there was no god, and that religion had no place in my life. I had not yet formed any idea that I had been "religious", so accepting being an atheist was rather easy!

No. I have trouble accepting my religious friends though. It is fucking hard

Not for a minute.

NO, I did not have trouble. I decided at about age 16 to mentally throw out all the beliefs that had entered my mind without my having considered them carefully. Then I would only accept those beliefs that I had examined thoroughly. REligion never made it past that screening. But I tried to keep an open mind in part because religion was so pervasive. What could I be missing, I wondered. What really made it easy to reject religion was when I read about how there is a scientific and evolutionary explanation for why so many people are hard wired to believe. Once I understand that I had no hesitation. I am that way with most things where I reject the conventional wisdom. I need to check two Boxes. Why am I right, and why do other people believe something that I have disproven to myself.

Not really, I had just studied all of the religions/ theories that I could find and the nearest I could come to religion is that it's logical to me that, 'spirit'/ life in some form probably gets recycled and that respecting/ protecting our environment makes sense. But couldn't identify with a theory that cows' souls were acknowledged before women's! I was pretty happy to throw in the towel and say I'll just wait until I die for the greatest adventure: I'm in no big hurry for it either 😉

No trouble. I follow the truth, not to my emotional preferences.

Well, I've been non religious since I was a child and never once had trouble accepting it.

I could see people who grew up religious having that issue though. I've also spoke to many and they in fact did have trouble and trepidation.

Hi.. I was born atheist, so my trouble came trying to accept "belief" in religion and I've failed miserably.

Nope I think I have always been non religious as when I was growing up I was never once indoctrinated or forced to go to church on a Sunday. I do feel that I might alienated myself from my grandparents on my dad's side who are Prodestant and attend the church of Scotland. They can't seem to get their head's around the fact that I don't believe in their God or any God for that matter

I was a lemming for years, as I so wanted to believe. But I kept asking the same question, “where is god, why so much suffering and pain.” I began to see religion as a crutch and belonging to tribe that is hypocritical and lacks the understanding and proactive of brotherly love.

I think when I joined the dots up it was a cross between a relief and a wow moment. All of it made more sense when I stopped trying to make sense of it.

Not at all I think I may have been a non believer most of my life. In my early days I was always scheptical of the Catholic beliefs. As I got older and learned more it started making absolutely no sense at all. I studied more science then put the pieces together finding out it is the way life happens.

At first my main concern was along the lines of "but what if I'm wrong?" As the possibility that I was wrong faded, so too did my concern.

It was a struggle until it wasn't. I wrestled with the idea for years before I was ready to admit it, and when I finally did, it was a huge burden lifted from my shoulders. The fear of becoming "evil," divine punishment or hell was gone. However, I continued to experience depression as I cut myself off from my religious social circle and worried about hiding my change of heart from my family.

@valeriean Oh Yes, the feeling that you were about to be struck by lightning, or punished. I remember the dawning sense of "Oh, its all bullshit !"

I think it depends on how deeply you believed, and on how tied you were to a church community. I wasn't tied to a church community, so I didn't get a lot of the social/peer pressure. However, I did deeply believe, and that was hard to make sense of. I joined a website for deconverting Christians (ex-christian.net) and that helped in the early stages. After that, I just stopped worrying about it.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 2, 2018

Yes because I was a Christian my whole life before finally accepting I truly didn't believe it. I think I had been subconsciously forcing myself to believe it for about 8 years before I actually accepted it. There was an immense amount of pressure to believe in God from my family, plus the fear of eternal damnation. But in the end right before I came to terms that there was at least no Abrahamic God I knew that if God "knows all" that he would know that I was pretending to believe and would probably be damned anyways. So I did the research with less fear and there are no regrets. I think finally saying it out loud too that I was agnostic was really fulfilling too. It seems kinda dramatic but it was a huge milestone in my life because it involved my sexuality too (bisexual).

Nope

KenWG Level 3 Nov 30, 2018

No. Not really. For me, it happened over a long period of time.

Not at all. I had the impression it was something i needed for too long.

I struggled for a long time with trying to force myself to believe. I was always skeptical about religion and always asked questions. I became even more skeptical when I was met with the standard "you shouldn't question God" response. I find it much easier to accept my lack of belief than I ever did accepting a belief itself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:221386
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.