Agnostic.com

11 3

What do you think of religious charities?

Are they a net good or bad? Do/Would you donate or volunteer to one?

silvereyes 8 Oct 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In general I avoid anything religious, let alone volunteer/donate, but I make the exception to hospices. I have seen the difference they make to the quality life of those final days.

tax free businesspeople

I don't see them as being different than any other charity or organization trying to raise money for their cause. That said, some charities are decidedly bad news regarding their handling of funds. Before giving to any group , one needs to check them out carefully, and see where the money REALLY goes !

Should be allowed only to the extent that they devote ALL of their resources to helping people, with no allowances fore promoting religion or trying to win converts.

I don’t know if they are good or bad, but I don’t trust them. There is a good possibility that they are spreading religious right hate. I don’t donate to or volunteer at them. Too many other good non-religious places to do that.

CS60 Level 7 Oct 25, 2017

I think too often there are straing sattached to charitable work when a religion is involved.

Having grown up inside a church structure I was privy to the planning and attitudes around the various charities, and the main aim was tom proselytise.

I don't mind charities that are religious as long as they're non-profit, that goes for secular charities too.
I don't want half of my donation going to a church or the millionaire CEO of a for profit.

I would very much prefer to give to a secular charity, such as Foundation Beyond Belief. I think we’ve reached a point where we no longer need to give to or volunteer with religious charities at all, so I won’t even qualify with, “if there were no other option.”

I think it depends what their mission is and also what they actually do. Specifically, I would be opposed to one if they push their beliefs in the process of carrying out their mission, and avoid one even if they don't. If I felt like donating or volunteering, I would rather find non-religious organizations of similar mission (or one that matched -my- objectives).

Some are good and some are bad, bottom line. There needs to be more accountability as to where all that money goes especially if the staff gets paid horrendously high sums of money.

SamL Level 7 Oct 25, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2214
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.