Agnostic.com

26 10

Is it possible for men and women to have a completely platonic relationship?

Can men and women really be just friends without at least one party having a romantic interest in another?

I mean this in terms of peer-to-peer relationships and not like couples who are friends with another couple. In other words, one-on-one, male and female relationships.

• 45 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 2 votes
silvereyes 8 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have more platonic relationships than not and its mutual coming from both ends. I think its healthy to have that. Setting boundaries is a good thing so each other knows where they stand.

It's very possible. I have had female fiends for years with no romantic involvement.

Very possible have several ladies my wife knows who i have known for 20 plus years going on 57 years of happy marriage because of complete trust.

Its a rough question. Most men have a built in thing that has them thinking about sex. I can't explain it... maybe genetics. Theres trigger mechanisms that screw with a guys head. The hair. The perfume. The clothes. It's crazy. For example..... we opened a new plant that hired young ladies as operators. Half the men out there went nuts and made statements about sex. We're talking all age men. I knew some guys that made it a point to get close to them and party with them. You know how one thing leads to another. They forgot about being married.
My assessment would be to have and keep a loving relationship with your spouse so small talk don't lead to stupid talk. Thats why i always told the new ladies in AA or NA to get a female sponsor. Some guys just love to get into some one elses business for persoal reasons... hate to say this but it's true....

I have a large amount of female friends that I am happily platonic with. I love having a diverse group of individuals as friends. I am lucky to be someone they feel comfortable with

Yes, it is possible. I have some great female friends, and they are the ones that I ask for advise when it comes to my relationships. I would not ask a male friend for advise on a woman, they are as clueless as I am, but a female friend will be able to give me better advise on that subject.

I know a lot of girls that are friends that I have no romantic/sexual feelings or desires for. Not always, but many women I find to be more interesting people than men.

Definitely. I have several long term platonic friendships with women. They give great advice. They are loyal, thoughtful, and kind.

I think it can happen, though probably not as often as we'd all like to think — human nature being fickle and all. But a lot of times there's no sexual attraction at all. With that said, even if there is some attraction, a lot of people maintain a solid friendship without ever crossing those lines. Every case is different, though, so what's true of one pair of friends might be entirely contrary to another pair.

I have several female friends whom I have known for more than 18 years.

Imo there's always one that seems to like the other.

Yep... as soon as that happens, the friend thing is in jeopardy. I've had some awesome women friends, some for years. But I always secretly wanted more, was just too gentlemanly to take the shot and didn't feel it was welcome...but we got along so well. Have to admit it might have changed in a bad way if I had pushed it, and I didn't want that to happen either.

I can't see why not, most of my friends have always been women.

Sure! I am friends with lots of guys and only platonicslly with 99% of them.

Zster Level 8 Feb 8, 2018

I have a married female friend. I am attracted to her. I don't feel any loss leaving the friendship where it is.

Yes. Most of my closest friends have been female and in the majority of those cases that's all it ever was; in many cases we were close enough to discuss honestly if there was any romantic attraction and agreed that there was not - and in some cases, the very idea of it was distinctly weird, even verging on incestuous.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 8, 2018

Yes, it's possible when they are single, but access is often somewhat limited if they have a S O. I can go on a camping trip with my buddy, Stan, but no matter how platonic the relationship is, that's not going to materialize when the friend is somebody's wife. Not saying it should be otherwise... just that there is a difference imposed by circumstance rather than by my capacity to have a platonic relationship.

skado Level 9 Feb 8, 2018

I think it depends on the man and the woman/man involved. I think the more intimate the friendship, the more difficult it is not to develop romantic or sexual feelings. I guess that leaves open the whole FWB thing.

Yes, if neither has a romantic interest in the other. If one does, I'm less sanguine about that lasting long.

I like having female friends more than male. I've been friends with a couple for over 10 years. When the friendship becomes more of a friends-zone then it can be a problem. Sometimes when you are doing things with the opposite sex you need to ask yourself would I do that if he/she was the same sex or would I expect my friend to do something if they were. Being a genuine friend with anyone is possible.

There was a time I would have said no way.

But, I finally got to a place where it can be true.

yes, it is possible, & actually happening in my current life.

Sure, go ahead and believe that.... but guess who's probably got a secret crush on you? Give you one hint lol...

@Dallasdave, i am not in the habit of believing anything, but you're welcome to believe that to be untrue 😀 the man i'm referring to is happily ensconced in a budding relationship with a wonderful woman.

A former romance and I lasted 2 weeks. We have been close friends for over 20 years. Her name is Jill and we tell people we broke up because we got tired of the Jack & Jill jokes.

True story: she was looking for a futon and saw an ad. We went to the house and introduced ourselves to the seller. He said it was on the back deck. When we went around to the deck he was standing there holding his young son and said "see there really is a Jack and Jill"!

@silvereyes An additional item missing from the relationship was a boat. She grew up along Boston Bay and her dad was a ship designer (she went to HS in Rotterdam while her dad had a contract there). She loved boats and joined the local yacht club to meet guys. She is now married with a nice guy who has a 37' sailboat and they spend their summers sailing the waters around us (I have even gone along).

certainly, except for maybe my teens... LOL.

Of course. I'll never understand how this is questioned by anyone.

I have several very close friends that are female. Some of them I have known since the 70's. Just good friends that's all. It isn't that hard if you respect someone.

Yes they certainly can. Now in some cases it may be impossible depending on the people. But certainly excellent friendships can come from hetero male/female platonic association.

Marc Level 4 Feb 9, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22165
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.