Agnostic.com

10 24

LINK This teacher had to tell her deaf students that people can hear farts. Their reaction was hilarious.  | GOOD

Not exactly a fart joke, but still funny. What we don't know.

Anna Trupiano is a first-grade teacher at the Kendall Deomnstration Elementary School in Washington DC, a school that serves deaf and hard-of-hearing students from birth through eighth grade.

In addition to teaching the usual subjects, Trupiano has to help her students thrive in a society that doesn’t do enough to cater to the needs of the hard-of-hearing.

Recently, Trupiano had to teach her students about a rather personal topic: passing gas in public.

A six-year-old boy farted so loud in class that some of his classmates began to laugh. The boy was surprised by their reaction because he didn’t know that farts make a sound. This created a wonderful and funny teaching moment for Trupiano.

Trupiano shared the conversation on Facebook.

Lukian 8 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

LMAO. I believe this story. Dealing with millennials is almost this bad. Spent 4 days with great niece and nephew over last Christmas. I couldn't believe the things they didn't know. Best one was "waiting at the bus stop while your ship sails." Took over 15 minutes to find enough comparisons for them to understand and then, they couldn't relate. Still in college.
Look Out World. Those little kids are lucky to have a patient teacher.

Kids are golden, it makes no difference their background. Their sense of wonder and how they interpret things around them is a source of infinite entertainment.

Made my day!

Funny

Geeeez the things hearing people never even consider. TY for posting.

That is a wonderful story. Thanks for bringing it to us.

I'm thinking the ones that vibrate your chair might be a clue! lolol

Too funny! Thabks for sharing

Why would the deaf kid ask I’d hearing children can see farts?

I thought that was odd as well but maybe because hearing farts is just magical to a deaf child he may be worried they have other talents...

@Lukian Now that I think of it, the whole thing seems very embellished if not completely fabricated. Like the deaf child just now learning that people can’t selectively hear things. What about when the 3rd kid said farts can be seen, how did the deaf kid hear that. Was the 3rd kid signing it? It just seems far fetched.

@indirect76 something tells me that 3 deaf kids are having a signing discussion with the teacher.

@indirect76. r/nothingeverhappens

@indirect76 having worked with kids you'd be amazed at what they don't know and what parents haven't taught them. In this they are six and are discovering many things about their bodies. This just reminded me of the assumptions we put on those that are born differently. Assuming one knows what we think they should can be detrimental. At six my own kid discovered new things do with his penis so I can believe this story and it speaks to their innocence. Thank you for sharing your perspective and I am glad you had a teacher to expose you to others not like you in some ways.

@Khetanna I don’t know. It seems like something like the visibility of flatulents would be self evident. The part about not knowing they make sound sounds plausible, everything else not so much.

This indeed could be from a lack of imagination on my part.

That poor kid, lol. This makes me wonder how many deaf folks have gone through life blissfully unaware that everyone around them knew when they passed gas

Probably zero. Have you ever been around the deaf? They aren’t stupid.

@indirect76 I never said or thought they were. How would they know if everyone was too polite to tell them?
Man, who peed in your Cheerios?

@OpposingOpposum Sorry. I’m not upset.

Do you really think deaf people can grow to adulthood without realizing that farts make sound on their own?

People don’t need to tell them. They can easily figure this out when people immediately look at the when the pass gas.

@indirect76 this is precisely what this discussion is all about... the moment that they discover that very point.

@Lukian Agreed, but to think that without it being explained, a deaf person would be oblivious to this their entire life is not giving them enough credit.

When I was in 6th grade my teacher brought in various kids with handicaps. I learned very quickly how some questions can come off as insulting.

That wasn’t your intention and it was kind of a joke I think anyway. So I’m sorry to be such a Debbie Downer all over your comment. Context and tone gets lost on the internet sometimes.

@indirect76 No worries. I understand your point of view. I just wanted to point out that this was a light heart moment in a deaf person's life. At least I took it that way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:221665
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.