Agnostic.com

12 8

QUESTION Gymnast Who Exposed Larry Nassar Says Church Isn’t Safe for Assault Victims February 4, 2018 by Sarahbeth Caplin

In an ideal world, churches would be among the biggest supporters behind an assault victim reporting her abuse to the police. But for Rachael Denhollander, reporting her own abuse at the hands of former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar and advocating on behalf of victims of other abusers within religious institutions, cost her several relationships. Her friends from church were no exception.
In fact, she recently told Christianity Today that church can be “one of the worst places to go for help”:

… Church is one of the least safe places to acknowledge abuse because the way it is counseled is, more often than not, damaging to the victim. There is an abhorrent lack of knowledge for the damage and devastation that sexual assault brings. It is with deep regret that I say the church is one of the worst places to go for help. That’s a hard thing to say, because I am a very conservative evangelical, but that is the truth. There are very, very few who have ever found true help in the church.

What is it about church that makes it so unhelpful for victims of abuse?

Part of the problem is “sin-leveling.” In evangelical churches, rape is considered no better or worse than lying, gossiping, or consensual but premarital sex. A sin is a sin is a sin, and everything can be forgiven if someone truly repents.
Dougy 7 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Churches would rather protect their institutions and leaders from scandal than protect victims.

Shes absolutely right! The churches haven't supported assaulted victims well at all in the past! I knew a high school girl who had been molested by her youth minister, and the congregation got mad at HER. "You're causing us to lose an excellent youth pastor!" She and her family left, the youth pastor stayed! He should have been tarred and feathered! As for forgiveness? Hell no! First, help the victim, help him/her to heal. Then, some years later, discuss forgiveness! And fire the person in the church who is a pesophile and press charges. Helping the victim get justice (incarcerate the pedophile) will do more to help healing instead of a lecture on forgiveness. I'm not surprised if this isn't the reason people are leaving the church, and I don't blame them!!!

@Stevil AGREED.

Catholic church, abusive priests; do we need to look any further to know this?

Holy crap is bullshit.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 10, 2018

Yeah..and they're NO GOOD at marriage counseling either.

No matter what, the solution is for the wife to be more obedient and to "love and forgive" her abusive and/or cheating husband. It's all about passive submission to the will of men, sweeping things under the rug, victim blaming.

After one church counseling visit, where my husband blamed me for everything, denying anything he'd done, I never went back.
Instead, I divorced him.
Best idea yet.

You were right to do so. It would only have gotten worse for you. But God never said women were made to be doormats; that came from the religious leaders who were MEN. Men were suppose to set the tone and mood in the marriage by loving their wives. Just because men abused women didn't mean God condoned it.

Frankly, you're a better woman than I am! I'd have left some scars on any man who mistreated me like that before I left, lol! My first husband was a huge manipulator, but as soon as I found out, I hit the road. Today, I'm raising my daughters up to be strong women, and they're in self defense now, in case they find themselves in that situation. My youngest is blind, so she's be very vulnerable. We adopted them from China together _ still a very antagonistic attitude towards women. Our oldest was 5, working in a brothel when we found her. Her dad took the wheel with reteaching her to love herself. He has worked very hard at teaching her that no man has a "right" to abuse her. She's 16 now, and she's a PISTOL now! He never loses his temper when we argue - which we never do in front of them, in spite of his faults, he's always treated me in a respectful manner, so the girls have learned by watching more than anything. I wish you better days now that you're free from the meathead husband!!

@Lewellyn3 I wasn't staying with him out of nobility, but because, as a female with male traits, I had no proper female boundaries. I was like males are with other male pals- very "whatever" about his disrespect, kept giving him second chances, etc., because I didn't have the female instincts to put his stuff on the lawn and change the locks, as a normal female would have done.

She changed churches.

That experience will marr her for life regarding her attitude about churches and Christians. I know I would be. I'm surprised the family even goes to church at all now!

No big surprise, and if you are anything but cis gender they prey-oops, there's that freudian slip again- pray for god to 'fix' you. I AM surprised this doctor got away with the behavior for so long. That is appalling.

What I can't understand is that if they had a child with a birth defect, they would most likely accept it the way he was born; so why can't they have that attitude about their gay child? Truth is, we don't know everything about gender and sexuality. And then there's much scripture expressing that God made us with intent. We are "fearfully and wonderfully made". So just SOME are? NO, it says we ALL are. Why do they ignore that? If my child tells me when she's grown that she's gay, it won't change my love and I'd certainly not send her off to camp to "get cured" Sorry, that issue just causes me to get on my soap box now and then!

I came from a large religious family, and no one even talked about sex period. No Sex Ed at school. No "Birds & Bees" talk from parents or any respectful adult, so it becomes impossible to talk to anyone about anything sexual. So this imposed shame causes most young victims to just keep it to themselves.

Is it even possible for a repeat offender to "truly repent" on every occasion?

It's a sickness , they love to sin , & their god loves to forgive . Sick Sick Sick !

I know first hand this is true.

All this is simply terrible. I unfriended a friend on Facebook who is an evangelical preacher because of this sort of thing. It's amazing how much harm that fundamentalist Christians and their beliefs do.

First of all, some of the creepiest men I've ever met were members of the church I used to attend, so church is certainly not free from predators.

Secondly, in my experience, whenever there was a scandal involving sexual harassment/assault, the church leaders attempted to handle it "in house" and avoid bringing congregation members to justice involving the more conventional avenues, like the police. Just look at the Duggar family, they are a perfect example of this twisted situation.

It's like the hospital , it's where the sick people go , but they only treat the symtom .

@Douglas Well, I like to think we treat the disease process too, but I'm just a biased nurse 😉 I agree that the answer lies in prevention.

To paraphrase Elizabeth Esther, author of a memoir about escaping a religious cult, when all things are considered evil, hardly anything is ever considered truly evil. And “withholding” forgiveness from an abuser, who may have already repented of his sin to God and to his mentors, is a sin of its own.

The consequences of post-traumatic stress disorder are frequently minimized, if not ignored completely.
Denhollander continued:

[Christians] can tend to gloss over the devastation of any kind of suffering but especially sexual assault, with Christian platitudes like God works all things together for good or God is sovereign. Those are very good and glorious biblical truths, but when they are misapplied in a way to dampen the horror of evil, they ultimately dampen the goodness of God. Goodness and darkness exist as opposites. If we pretend that the darkness isn’t dark, it dampens the beauty of the light.

This is the idea behind the verse from Romans 8:28, “All things will work together for the glory of those who love God.” Some Christians would say, then, that any depression or anger a victim feels after an assault is the result of a refusal to trust God for healing and restoration.
If only it were that simple. 😮

Dougy Level 7 Feb 8, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22224
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.