Agnostic.com

17 12

They say, "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing." I say, "A little bit of knowledge is a good beginning."

think-beyond 7 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just found what is called an existentialist Crossword puzzle. It says:

No clues.

No correct answers

No hope of ever solving the puzzle

Meaningless

Just like Life!

depends on the person and the knowledge because loose lips really can sink ships.

You have to start somewhere!

JK666 Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

An excellent statement " think beyond." No further negative comments needed.

I like it.

To me the purpose of LIFE (all life) is to evolve. Individual humans evolve through learning and knowledge. What you don't know can and often does kill you.

Kill you? Yes, death is a huge part of evolution, isn't it. In species, lots of death. In individual evolution, old, dysfunctional or ill-fitting ideas have to die and be replaced. 🙂

@MikeInBatonRouge A paper I just discovered which I mentioned earlier "The Funny Times" has a tee shirt for sale that says "Stupidity kills - but not fast enough".

Perfect. I love it.

“Yoi’re too smart for your own good.” Is code for not smart enough to MAKE IT be for your own good, but I do wonder about too smart to be readily happy/happy-go-lucky.

A good thesis on the topic is, "THE KNOWLEDGE ILLUSION: Why We Never Think Alone," by Sloman and Fernbach.

Excellent Perspective!

Ignorance is a dangerous thing. A little bit of knowledge is a good beginning and more knowledge you acquire is a good thing.

Mild disagreement here. This can be what a little knowledge gets you.

If you only have a little knowledge you end up being overconfident in what you think you know, but what happens is you don't know the questions to ask to find out just how much you don't know. This leads to people saying that climate change isn't real and the earth is flat.

I think knowledge is the most important thing in the world - it takes a bit of curiosity to expand on a little bit.

There are several ways of looking at it. What usually happens is that someone finds a short article, hears a brief description, or sees a documentary on something and suddenly sees him/herself as an expert, or at least 'knowledgeable' in the subject, and that is what the saying addresses.

Another way of looking at it is that a little knowledge is better than no knowledge. We can associate this with the aware layman who knows just enough to enable some understanding. This is a good thing. They don't need to carry it any further, though I would hope they were motivated to dig deeper.

A little knowledge in the mind of an inquisitive person who is driven to understand is a good beginning.

What @wordywalt said. If a little bit of knowledge leads one to think s/he already knows everything, then it's a very dangerous thing. But for those of us who realize how little we know, it's an invitation to learn.

And that applies to doctors and other experts who can lose sight of the unknown factor. Even the experts can miss the mark.

@think-beyond
Yes, a lot of Dr's think of themselves as 'gods' .
I'm dealing with my Neurosurgeon.......

@Wildgreens Good luck.

Providing that the little bit of knowledge leads one to seek to understand more.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22263
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.