Agnostic.com

124 3

What would make you believe in a God?

What would need to happen for you to be able to distguish between a God and more advanced technology.

paul1967 8 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

124 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmm. Well, whatever it is it would certainly have to happen while I was 100% sober .. and awake ...

My friend who invited me here always brags that he holds the absolute true spirit in his hand and the spirit is in a bottle 😀

If Satan allows me to sign a contract to get my money, women, and Trump in a Mexican Jail.

To believe in Satan is to believe in God

Exactly.

@Major8 - I think this was a joke.......

Much like Bigfoot and Nessie, I require irrefutable physical evidence that would withstand the rigorous scrutiny of science. Nothing else would be sufficient for me.

sol65 Level 3 Nov 5, 2017

I think I could believe in God easier than a religion but not God as we know it. Do our pets think of us as Gods?

Ignorant pets do. My dog thinks he's a god, barks at me when I don't serve him. I think he came from that Dog Star 😀

Good question, I really don't know but an omniscient and omnipotent being should have no problem making me believe.

I couldn't care less if God came down from the heavens, and professed to be the second coming of Jesus. I would only ask him, 'if you truly are a benevolent god, then why did you create beings who have to feed on other living beings (your creation) to survive?"

Isn't it a shame that Gods creation is smarter than God lol?

As most have said: evidence. However, just because god proved to me he/she/it existed, doesn't mean I would want any part in following/worshipping him/her/it. There's a lot of evil in this world that god would have to explain before I even considered supporting such a being.

Said almost this exact thing at work last week. My co-workers face when I called their god evil... Priceless!

I would believe in a god if it presented itself to me in no uncertain terms. Like I believe in gravity.

Behold, god stands at the door and knocks. If you open the door and let him in, then he will not do all those bad things he's going to do to you if you do not open the door. Sorry. That's how religion works.

As Bill Nye said - evidence. And none of that "god is in a baby's smile" shit. Actual peer reviewed evidence.

Waterboarding would get me to say it, but short of scientific proof, I would never believe it.

Nothing - there can't be proof of something that does not exist.

Very true! You cannot prove a negative.

Same things that makes me believe in France or Radio-waves or anything.
Credible proof - ideally him (her?) making their holy text appear in the hand of anyone who asks, written in their own language. Wouldn't that solve every question about the right god and the right version of that god's holy book? (Question for believers - why not do that?)

Allan Level 5 Oct 21, 2017

if he put a new paint job on my truck , it needs new paint

It would take a lot more than turning water into wine 2000 years ago. a great party trick, but no more. I think the real question is if god finally showed up, why would anyone worship it?

Evidence... Believable evidence is all it would take.

I've thought about this before. At the very least, I'll tell it this, "I'll just keep asking for evidence and for us to define our terms: what makes a god a god and not just a being with better loot and skill-trees than me." I'll Tom Sawyer that som'bitch: If you can paint my fence without using a brush, I'll be a little closer to "believing." If a god is simply something with more capabilities than us as a species, then you get your win, buddy. You're the fart that pooped gold, now go god somewhere else. That's the thing with questions like these, when you say "god" what exactly do you mean? If anything we still have to work on the premise of this discussion.

that is a question that I have no ready answer to BUT if there is a god HE will know

Maybe a stroke or brain cancer. My late wife had a brain tumor but her atheism had been ingrained since childhood and she sent a message of "no tears and no prayers.
This is the real world and there is no magic or supernaturalism!

I respect your wife for having her mental power and the world is lessened without her in it. She and other's like her are inspiration to me.

Nothing! There is on endemic evidence in the existence of a god or gods. They are a construct of the human mind, looking for explanations for the world around them, mostly in a pre-scientific era. Unfortunately, religious organizations have become so rich and powerful that they keep brainwashing people, especially children, into believing that there is a god, and that science, (which is provable), is the lie.

Depends on what you mean by "god". If we are talking about that which brought about life we have to ask we think life came about. Or do we really know how life came about? We have theories.

Abiogenesis has a couple of noteworthy hypotheses, such as "The RNA World" hypothesis which you should look into. A great explanation for this is at Stated Clearly. This channel on youtube is among the best I've seen for people interested in science.

A scientific THEORY is a provable truth. Like gravity, which we all can agree is real, science has proven that life on earth started in what is known as primordial soup and evolved from there.

"It" would have to appear in a visible form to me. Then I would believe "it" exists but I'd have quite a few more questions and complaints.

How could you distinguish between a God and a being with more advanced abilities to humankind?

John Nash saw and talked to a lot of people who weren't there.

@paul1967 You have a good point. If the being clearly had some higher abilities than humankind it would depend I guess on what abilities they showed. Even then, God is a man made word. There is no true test for what is or is not a god other than using perhaps humankind as the baseline for abilities.

Undeniable proof.

Suspension of independent thought

There's an important difference between belief and worship at play here. If I saw a god appear in the sky, and so did everyone else, and there were no other logical explanation, then I would accept that this god existed. If this god were anything like the God of the Bible or the Qur'an, then that God does not deserve to be worshiped.

Dylan Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

Agreed

There is no possible "logical" explanation for seeing "a god appear in the sky" - just because you see something doesn't mean it exists - the mind plays many tricks, as many people can confirm they have already "seen" and spoken to god. That would not be evidence for me.

Well if God was real when people pray things would happen but they pray after a disaster. I.f God was real there would be no need to pray because the disaster wouldn't have happened in the first place. He is supposed to be all caring and loving but look at the world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.