Agnostic.com

31 8

Do you ever want to believe in the afterlife? (Post is sad.)

My mother passed away suddenly july 4th, 2017. She was 40 years old. That was the first moment i ever really wanted to believe. Believe I could see her again. Believe that she was better. Believe she could hear me say goodbye. I wanted to be shown a sign so badly that she would continue watching over me. But... i couldn't. I've accepted it, but i feel it makes it harder on me, knowing that that was probably it.

Side question, when do you think a life really ends? I remember her death day as the fourth, she was considered brain dead then and had her hooked to machines for 21 hours.

JudeStephens 3 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know when death is aside from a scientific explanation. Then brain death; but that has had failures in that some people's brains have restarted (very very rare, like lottery rare). I could buy into some Asian ideas of a continuation of a life force. But it would not hold memory or such. That idea would come closest to science: Newtonian laws and the structure of everything being from stardust.

Personally when im gone i want to be donated to science first then have my ashes turned into fertilizer for a tree.

@JudeStephens I already have my paperwork in for my body to go to medical school studies. Most if not all states have a program. Watch out for the for profits online. They aren't reliable, parse you out, and are just in it for the money and do not care where you end up. Go somewhere that will do some good. Again, check for a state.gov program that will connect you.

@Beowulfsfriend im currently trying to move back to my home state after being displaced after all this. Im thinking of going to Emory university (a very good medical school) and filling out the paper work there. I will also remove the donor status from my license so it won't be an issue. I know about the for-profits.

The only reason to live is to make memories. (from Downton Abbey-netflix)

I'm going through that feeling. One thing that is helping is that the person I lost will live on in our memories and so long as we keep passing her name and memory next generations she will love in their minds. My thoughts are of my family member alive and that's where she will live on for me. I do feel the emptiness of that was it, but that helps. So sorry for your loss.

No. The afterlife notion is just one more layer of BS from the woo market.

A myriad of bubbles were floating on the surface of a stream.
"What are you?" I cried to them as they passed.
"I am a bubble, of course!", nearly a myriad of bubbles replied, and there was surprise and indignation in their voices.
But here and there a lone bubble replied "We are this stream", and there was neither surprise nor indignation in their voices, merely a quiet certitude.

Wei wu wei

no. if i can't control the menu and the music i don't want to be there.

i am sorry about your mom. that is rough, and 40 is too young.

i am not a doctor; i do not know when life ends. i have to take doctors' word for it that it ends with brain death.

i see my mom and dad, both dead, in dreams. it isn't the same as being able to call them but i do see them quite often.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223221
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.