Agnostic.com

22 6

If you are a person who was born in faith, did you feel betrayed by your loved ones that fed you religion?

I have to admit that I did feel some amount of anger, but not necessary at family members, who fed religion to me, but at the situation that the brainwashing had continued on for so long that it became a traditional routine for generations to feed Christianity in my case since that is the main faith my family members believe in. For the most part, Christianity has a notorious history and a hold on America, considering that the Europeans arrived to this country with their gun in one hand and the Bible in the other and killed many of the natives, which were Native Americans and took their land. Using this bible to justify slavery as the Bible condones slavery and even though there is a New Testament, Jesus himself never even spoke against slavery since that is the supposed part of the Bible that is supposed to mean things were made better. Christianity’s notorious history influencing slavery on the Africans even Christianity was forced on them and eventually them accepting this faith because it was either accept or die and passing it down to future generations to come. Christianity also has a dark history of murdering scientist: rebels in the earlier days who went out and tried to find many of the answers to try and make since of the Universe and along the way, their discoveries were crashing the delusions of the Christian faith. There were also many victims such as people being accused of witchcraft or followed a different belief, yet I do u deratand that Christians once fell victims to the Romans when they were being fed to the lions.

A way, sorry about my short little rant about history, but I just needed to know if you felt betrayed when you left religion if you grew up in any. This is another interesting book that digs deep in the Christian faith that I recently discovered while watching an amazing YouTuber videos. I will make sure to collect my copy soon.

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It feels more like I woke up in a Twilight Zone episode.

Actually the first betrayal I felt was when I found out Santa wasn't real. I couldn't believe that they would lie to me like that, I was 6. Trust was also difficult because my brother who was 8 years older than I was very physically abusive to me, broke my arm when I was 3 and my nose when I was about 8. My mom knew and allowed him to do it because she felt sorry for him, yes, him.
So when I had doubts about the church and religion I already had been betrayed so when I had the opportunity to lay down the law and refuse to be involved in church any longer at about 10, I just quit. I had a Sunday school teacher who told us one day to go home and find a place to hide our Bibles so we were ready when the Russians invaded, true story, also we had cold war drills at school. I went home and told my my that if that woman, the Sunday school teacher really thought that the Russians were coming here to look for little girl's Bibles she is crazy and the whole thing is crazy, I refused to be forced to go back. I think I won because my dad was done with the church about the same time. As I would learn things in school, like history you've mentioned I would go home and question my mom was she continued to believe such drivel. She never had an answer, I was quite mean about it sometimes and feel bad about that now.

I remember one getting in serious trouble when I told my youngest sister Santa wasn’t real.

No. They thought they were doing the right thing for me. They were simply mistaken.

Exactly. Each generation was brainwashed and it just seems to repeat itself afterwards to newer generations. Thy really thought they were doing the right things to save our souls.

I don't feel betrayed, because they were kind, well meaning people. I just wish I could have had my atheist epiphany much earlier in life.

It wasn't a life or death thing in my life. I'm sorry some people had be in religion or die. It was easy with my family... us kids went while my parents had a chance to play in bed. I hated going. But it was the thing people did in my community.

I only felt betrayed by the liars within the religion. I was raised catholic.....schools and all. So much was hidden. Until I started researching on my own, I knew little of the atrocities perpetrated by this religion. I was so disgusted by the inquisitions and the complicity with the Nazis and, worst of all, the child sexual abuse. I am free now. So many lies.....

I could never be angry at my mom. She's the sweetest lady and she gave the best she could...now she thinks I'm kinda crazy bit she loves me anyway and knows I'm a.good guy. Her mom wad another amazing and sweet lady. They tooktooke to faith and at some point my dad would have love for me to be a priest...really?!!!! That's funny. I'm angry at religión as an institution because it dragg us back and steal from the people and divide us...

Somewhat betrayed.

Yes, due to them not knowing any better and then being convinced they was trying to do the right thing.

I feel betrayed in as much as "why didn't my parents think it through and see it is bullshit?"

In response to the historical atrocities committed by christians in this country (USA), they would continue to do all of it TODAY if the secular system we live under did not forbid it by constitution and law. (IMHO)

The betrayal wasn't in that they fed me religion. The betrayal was that they claimed to believe in God and they were such mean people. Narcissism and holy righteousness is a bad combination...

No. Not at all. They believed they were sharing "truth", so their misinformation was not a malicious.

No. They believed. I believed. I gradually outgrew it like you do with other things your folks give you.

No way. They were all just as brainwashed as I was. It wasn't heir fault. They loved me and were trying to help me. Now I try to help them by introducing a thing called reason. It does make me sad that so many people are so mislead. It makes me angry that I was but not at any person or group. Vive la résistance!!!!!!!!

Not really. It was what my parents sincerely believed, and as United Methodists, they were kind, tolerant, liberal, etc., so I didn't feel deprived, and only recently realized I was on the wrong team.

I felt a LITTLE bit betrayed since I was a child who trusted his mentors to know WTF they were doing. But I also own my own role in it, particularly in remaining in the orbit of fundamentalism well into my 30s. I was a pleaser, all TOO willing to trust authority in exchange for its affirmation. I had a Jesus complex, a misplaced desire to "help" others without first determining what it was they actually needed. I was intellectually lazy, preferring prefabricated beliefs to justifiable ones. I had to admit all this about myself in order to escape from the belief-system.

No one held a gun to my head. I could have left any time. I've met people who decided it was all BS and either mentally checked out or refused to go to church at some single-digit age, stuck to their guns, and maintained their intellectual integrity.

So no, I don't feel I was being put upon and used by others to enough of a degree that I have anger or resentment issues. That's a victim's narrative, generally speaking.

Of course if I hadn't had loving, unconditionally accepting parents, who unwittingly protected me from the worst aspects of fundamentalism -- if I had been mentally or emotionally abused or if the church had succeeded in making me feel truly unworthy or living in terror of hellthreat -- then I'd have stronger feelings about it. That would be a somewhat different story. I would not want to trivialize those kinds of experiences; but I simply didn't have them.

I have had many quarrels with family members on their religious views, especially with my parents its often a thing that we should talk about lols so I get how you are feeling towards religion, it is a big turn off for free thinking people

I wasn't raised religious persay yet my family practices many different religion's and as I grew up practicing the different religion's it had me feeling like a out sider which is why I'm a spiritualist nonreligious person. I hated feeling hurt and left out all the time just because I didn't agree with the way people were doing things in each religion. I hope this is helpful in someway.

My Family sent me to Catholic school first through 12th grade. They too were victims of the dogma indoctrination so they can’t be blamed. I also think the religious and clergy for the most part are ignorant of their ignorance. It’s part of man’s psychological evolution... the need to assign agency to phenomena. 300 years from now our progeny will look back and pity us for our primitive preoccupation with the supernatural. For now, we press on.

I just thought they were stupid and gullible, not evil.

Most religions have a history of barbarism, except maybe Buddhism, but they may have one I'm unaware of. My family will acknowledge the bad deeds of the church, but they are unable to apply the same logic to other religions. Like they think the crusades were a few bad apples, but all Muslims are terrorists because of a few jihadists. Which is just so dumb. I was raised Catholic but then chose to get "saved" in a nondenominational church, so I can't blame them. I really believed it for a variety of reasons, and walking away took work.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22449
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.