Agnostic.com

7 3

The "Something Can't Come From Nothing" Logic

I recall having this conversation more times than I can count. Here's the logic that I believe to be flawed:

"The Big Bang couldn't have happened because something can't be created from nothing. God created the universe, planets, living entities..."

My response has remained a consistent "If a god created the universe and by your logic, something can't be created from nothing, who created the god? Another god? Okay. Well... how did that god come about?"

I'd love to hear your opinions on this logic and my view on it. I'm open to all sides and ideas. Go easy on me, though. I'm the new guy here. 😛

jharrier 2 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The big bang theory is not about something coming from nothing as there was the singularity in the very beginning

It's a creationist straw man argument, so nothing to address really. Cosmologists have all sorts of fascinating theories and hypotheses about the origin of the Big Bang, in none of which does the Universe magically appear out of nonexistance.

See St. Thomas Aquinas Prime Mover Theory for religions primary stance on this issue.

Welcome.

Thank you. 🙂

I like the response by cosmologists and quantum physicists. And as strange as it seems, it's actually a pretty valid way to describe the physics.

"Something came from nothing because 'nothing' was unstable."

Religion is the attempt of ignorant people trying to explain things they can't comprehend. Infinant regression and cyclical arguments are its foundation. Basically you can't reason with crazy.

Logic will never get you anywhere with delusional thinking.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into."

~ Anon

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22519
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.