Agnostic.com

20 6

Is it love?

I've recently been dating a man who I'm sexually active with. Im a year out of a 30 year loveless marriage. I've known passion and love can be confused but I've found myself crying over events that I normally feel numb too. People tell me I look great and have a glow about me. This all seems very corny but I have to wonder, Could it be love or lust? I don't want to rush into another disaster that took 30 years from me.

Barbarabkind 5 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I recommend the book Codependent No More. It it's very insightful!

Uncas Level 4 Feb 25, 2018

Take your time, realize your boundaries and preserve protect them and never sacrifice them!

Uncas Level 4 Feb 25, 2018

Good point. He is recently showing signs of being possessive. It may be time to assert my independence and let the chips fall as they may. I think I know now it's not love.

It is great that you are feeling again after such a long time. Give this new romance a chance to grow and change before you worry what it is exactly.For now, enjoy the passion

Takes about 2 years for "honeymoon" effect to subside. Keep fucking until then and ask again in about 2-3 years.
You said it yourself, don't rush it!
"Hang out, have fun and hookup."
-Corey Wayne

That was good. Lol.

@Freespirit64 That's what she said! 😉

Not much to add to all the other comments. They were good, weren't they. Take your time and enjoy, be careful and be selfish you've more than earned the right. You don't have to be married or even committed to be happy so just be happy.

Betty Level 8 Feb 10, 2018

Yes, It really did help. I'm very impressed with all the wisdom on here. This will be my New go to place. You are so right. I want to keep in mind that a relationship is more of an enhancer to a happy life. Not the source. Thanks to everyone!!!

time will tell so keep doing what you're doing as either is great.

Don't knock lust.

Without it, we would never start down the relationship road with the smelly socks and stupid questions and irritating laughs and crazy decisions and bad sense of humour and old flames and poor financial sense and bad taste in clothes ......

There is no "the one", there is only "its hard but they are worth it".

Thank you for the video! I enjoyed it.

You are living again! Crying, having sex, FEELING! I am very jealous. I hope to be where you are in a few months. I understand your trepidation because you're not sure if you trust your own feelings. Have made a few missteps myself recently. There is some good advice here on your post about what big things to avoid. It's ok not knowing where this relationship is going. I'm guessing you're like me and didn't expect to be going through this kind of stuff at our age but falling on our faces with this kind of stuff is normal. Got some good advice about these issues from some good and insightful people on this site and am trying to allow myself these stumbles and falls. Congratulations!

I've never been happier in my life. I think you are spot on. Thank you! You are one of the insightful ones.

@Barbarabkind Thank you for the kind words.

From everything I've learned, until you are a good 12-18 months in, you're pretty much riding a hormone high. In other words, lust. Very natural. Very real. Lots of fun and lots of sex. And a really really bad time to make big or life-changing decisions. Have fun and try to resist figuring out what stage you are in. Live your life and just try to be cautious about big decisions.

Thank you. Great advise.

Welcome to our little site and may you find... friendship, wisdom, fun and happiness among equals in our little place. Just be yourself... Why it as to be either? You got out of 30 bad years so anything coming behind will look better and feel better. Take your time... let him win the race of who is marrying first again. I had been divorced for 18 years. Not once did I felt I wanted to be married again. And I had met sexual matches (important to me), dancing matches (pro ballroom dancer), soul mate (who wouldn't want that). Take it easy and let the chips fall. Just do not hurry anything. Breathe your Freedom and Enjoy a little bit. If it is... you will know eventually.

So right on many points. I've made it abundantly clear to anyone I date, no marriage. Thank you. Breathing!!

@Barbarabkind ditto, no more marriages for me either! One and done!

@HeyHiHullo I never ruled out marriage again... I got buddies saying... "first time for love, second time for money, not my money". I won't mind if is a keeper. If I want to keep her until the aliens arrive looking for her.. so be it.

If it was love, you wouldn't even need to ask us. Trust your instincts here.

Marz Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

Take your time. If it is lust it will burn out, if it is love it will grow.

Good words those.

That's not all that's growing lol

I took at least 3 years to become myself again after my 32 year marriage was over...if you had asked me, after18 months or so, I would have confidentially asserted I was fine...but 10 years later, hindsight lets me see Clearly that I was Not! Be kind to yourself, enjoy good moments because you deserve them, but make NO legal commitments!

Marriage would ruin everything!

@Barbarabkind not just marriage...no loans, no buying a car together, nothing! I tell you, in the most kindly way, from my experience, you are not in your right mind right now.

I concur.

Lust is good. Why quibble?

There is lust. but love grows. The trick is what happens when the lust has faded, say 18 months. Then you find out whether there is love. IMHO. Please, never take any notice of what I say.

Great point. Great advise. I feel like a child again navigating the playground.

Why? I think you add a lot of value to the conversations here. Your experience and wisdom is just as valid and helpful as others, Rugglesby.

It could be either or both. Take your time. Don’t rush into things. Keep your eyes open.

Eyes staying open is the tricky part of lust and love. I tend to scare easy.

I understand entirely. But that’s the nature of the beast. Just do the best you can and enjoy the ride. @Barbarabkind

Love or lust, I am delighted that you are experiencing something special that you are enjoying with the man in your life at this time.

Less thinking and more just enjoying. Thanks for reminding me. Seize the day!

@Shelton he always does that

It is common to have a transition relationship even if you are positive this isn't, you might be wrong. One year isn't long enough to recover from a 30 year relationship. Have fun, tread lightly and take your time.

I hadn't given it much credence before. Yes, one year isn't enough and I am somewhat love starved. Tread lightly will be my new mantra. Thank you for that.

Probably lust but with any luck at all you'll successfully make the transition 🙂 Good Luck!

Yes, I'm still leaning towards lust with a little bit of caring mixed in. That's what has me confused. Calling it a transition is helpful to putting it into perspective. Thank you!

Stick with lust. If it's 'love', you can take your time finding out.
Your "glow" is probably from all the extra blood circulation.
Well done!!! 😉

Lol. Time seems to be the answer. Thanks for the "well done". Made me lighten up a bit.

Lol, I often heard sex could clear up your skin in high school. I guess I've proven it true.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22585
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.