Agnostic.com

15 1

What is the most interesting thing you have seen from an airplane?

GuitarDoctor 7 Nov 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When we took off, I was able to follow the streets back to my house once.

Nothing, l assume the crash position as soon as l sit down and wait for what l assume is the inevitable. ?

The red soil of Oklahoma looked like veins. (KS -Tx flight)

Aurora Borealis . While flying from Winnipeg to London.

Firework shows from above them. (We flew over July 4th weekend).

Zster Level 8 Nov 20, 2018

Grand Canyon, Volcano active,Bryce canyon, Alaska

Sitting in the cockpit of a C32 during a landing at Honolulu airport. It was amazing seeing the Hawaiian islands as specks in the vastness of the blue ocean.

I can't be the only one who sees things on the ground and then tries to find a landmark in order to identify it later on Google Maps (for instance). A bit easier if the plane has WiFi and I can search while in the air.

For example, saw this flying over Arizona....have put the answer in the link in case others want to guess what it might be.

In 1984, I was flying into Hawaii in the evening, and two different volcanoes were erupting on two different islands at the same time, one on each side of the plane. It was awesome.

One of the more interesting things - The Ivanpah Solar Power Facility.

I saw three bright lights on the horizon and was curious what they were. They got brighter as we got closer (but not too close) when I realized they were the boilers at Ivanpah. This is a concentrating solar power plant - in that the light from the sun is directed by multiple mirrors onto the boiler making it incredibly bright. So bright, I wonder if it is an aviation hazard for the pilot's vision. A poor photo from Wiki suggests what I was seeing:

That is very cool! And kudos to you to figure out what they are!

More horrific than interesting...

The alps, with low white cloud in all the valleys, so that the whole range looked like an ice cream desert.

The pilot.

As he sailed past the window wearing his parachute ?

@Fernapple Not sure I would find that "interesting". Lol

I had been flying all night across the Pacific from LA to Seoul, South Korea. Waking up from a fitful sleep, I slid the window cover up, seeing that it was getting light, and found myself looking at some mountains with a large, perfectly triangular volcano in the middle. After a few minutes, I was looking straight down the cone of the volcano, which looked familiar. Mt. Fuji!

Mt. Rainier

I lived in and around Seattle for a couple of years, and hardly ever saw it then! When I did see it, it dominated the horizon, but most of the time it was hiding behind its grey, cloudy screen.

@The-Krzyz A plane trip from Kansas City to Seattle got clearance to pass really close to it, and it was amazing

@DoctoralZombie It’s safer from a distance: A very dangerous mountain to climb!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:227403
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.