Agnostic.com

15 4

How does a writer point to white male dominance?

How can I tell the truth about white Male privilege and domination without hurting white men who are not violent and racist?

Sunsetmermaid 5 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Easy. Point directly to the behavior and words of specific men and social groups.

All I have to say, this is political BS

Do the research to create a precise understanding of the social truth. The evidence is out there. I just spent a few minutes by starting with two questions on google. The first question was "which gender gets the most college degrees in the US?" The second question was which gender holds the most leadership positions in the US? The two links will put you on research threads to explore the gender privilege issues. For data mining the racial privilege issues just ask the same questions but replace the word "gender" with the word "race". To capture the domination through violence data ask the question "which race commits the most violence against women in the US?" Then research "how many caucasion men commit violence against women in the US?"

Note: Use academic discretion in picking and citing your sources to produce a truthful and objective document. I want to read this when you are done. Please tag me when you publish your results. 🙂

[nces.ed.gov]

[americanprogress.org]

In my opinion, the first and foremost symptom of privilege is that a privileged individual is the one who is most unlikely to be able to see it or acknowledge it.

Perhaps you should describe how humans tend to behave given majority status ..and stop assigning blame or describing colors. As I see it, males are a minority, and currently, fewer of them are attending college; seems the dominance should be the other way around.

Some never mature beyond playground gender rivalries, but as a father of daughters, brother to sisters, former husband, and the son of my mother … I’m offended by the broad-brush slathered across my face espousing ‘privilege’ that was long ago forsaken supporting both atheism and women’s rights.

Varn Level 8 Nov 23, 2018

Maybe White males are dominant in Arkansas but I’m not seeing it at my location. Somebody said we were supposed to be dominant but every time I try to exercise my dominance I get slapped down. Maybe I’ll move to Arkansas to where I can cash in on my White male dominance.

So far as White privilege, I guess I have a little bit. I can eat all the watermelon I want without being made fun of.

You live in Alabama and do not see or realize that your white skin worked for you your whole life?
Alabama of George Wallace. I still see and think about that obnoxious son of a bitch when I decide to not travel through Alabama .

@Sunsetmermaid I do not deny or dispute that there were past injustices, or that there are still biases, though to a lesser degree than before. There have also been a lot of exaggerations. My plan is to move forward with respect for all my fellow humans.

I did not intend to insult you or denigrate your state. Sorry.

Wallace is an interesting character study. I remember hearing him speak at Auburn when he was making his first successful run for governor. Clad in a brilliant blue suit, he cut quite a figure. There were Blacks and Whites in the outdoor audience and he had all of us in the palm of his hand. On his first, unsuccessful run, he had the backing of the NAACP because of his liberal views. Years later, on his final run for governor, he was swept into office with overwhelming support from the Black community.

The intervening years were filled with an ego-ridden campaign of demagoguery and lust for power. Maybe getting shot was good for him. In the end his true nature came out. Actions speak louder than words.

[washingtonpost.com]

I'm not sure that can be done. Many white males who are true to themselves and society will know that you do not mean them. Perhaps just as many who are total assholes will think the same thing.

Just tell the truth... People are hurt everyday in this world... That shouldn't prevent you from speaking your mind... Add a disclaimer if necessary...

The ol' twin sibling thread, each off different directions early on and demonstrate a contrast later.

What also needs to be considered is that having a certain privilege doesn't mean that you are better off when it comes to other things. Having white privilege doesn't make you richer than a black person. Having male privilege doesn't make you immune to being raped. It isn't talked about as much but there are also female privileges and black privileges but they don't or rarely play a big role in society today.

Dietl Level 7 Nov 23, 2018

I would distinguish privilege from violence and racism. It originally caused by those things, but someone does not have to be violent or racist at all to have white privilege. They just have to be white.
It make some people angry because people don't like to be told that they have it easier than other people. Many lower income working white people have very hard lives and many are in poverty. This does not mean they don't have white privilege. The whole white privilege argument seems to focus on rich white people and all white men are evil and rich type of thing. It isn't a surprise that some of the working class and. poor take offense to that.
Some hard to say things need to be said anyway though. Good for you for trying to find a way to explain it where more people will listen.

MsAl Level 8 Nov 23, 2018

Generalization and broad strokes can lead to hot water even in a humorous piece.I find that judicious use of "some" or "many" can be at least a get out clause.

How about, mention specific males with whom you have an issue, because they are the ones that are doing something wrong?

"White Male privilege and domination" is not a thing. There's no big club where the white men sit around plotting how every single white man is going to be advantaged over everyone else. That's the truth you were looking for.

Start by telling the truth.

People are individuals with individual minds, not group minds. If you want to talk about white males, talk about individual white males and you won't hurt anyone but the one you want to hurt. If you want to talk about "privilege", good luck, since there is only one person in the world who doesn't have more "privilege" than someone else. What "truth" do you want to tell? Do you think that most while males are domineering, violent and racist? If so, what about their "whiteness" leads to this?

You are a precious millennial. Read the book Generation of Sociopaths by Bruce Gibney to help you see right now what white make boomer privilege does. Hopefully it dies,

@Sunsetmermaid First off, I'm not a "millennial." Second, I don't buy into "privilege." It is a word now used to shut down conversation. And, like I mentioned in my post above, "there is only one person in the world who doesn't have more "privilege" than someone else."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:229334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.