Agnostic.com

8 1

False hope gives you comfort for better hope? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I will say it depends lols

I could go for that answer, too.

It's called false hope for a reason

False hope may be good in the moment but it fails to deliver in the long run. The disappointment, hurt, frustration, heartache, and pain will be far worse and longer lasting for not being dealt with at the beginning.

So the answer to your question is "False".

Betty Level 8 Feb 11, 2018

Exactly!

I don't believe that I can support that statement! A little hope will be good enough, but false hope is opposite of true hope!

obviously for many people yes but not me.

my honest-to-goodness answer? hope is faith, once removed, & as such too close in comfort to belief, which i understand is a kind of lullaby. i despise all three of them: the un-wholey trinity πŸ˜€

Boy howdy...that was deep...It almost flew over my head!!!

@Freedompath, i don't understand what "boy howdy...that was deep...it almost flew over my head!!!" means. do you?

In some cases, you are right on the button. Hope is situational, eg. a child ran away and a mother hopes the child will return soon. In this case, "hope" is not equated with "faith" but with longing.

@walklightly 'boy howdy' is an old country greeting! And the way you weaved your idea, made me think in a totally different way. Like I sometimes want get certain poems, kinda of thing?

thank you, @Tecolote, i wasn't sure whether it was genuine or sarcastic πŸ˜‰

@Betty, this is a tricky one, i find. if i put myself in the situation of the mother i would preferably be able to TRUST, that being an energy of positivity & action, like putting my foot forward, whereas HOPE always has victimhood attached to it, as it depends on someone/something out of my grasp to be fulfilled. just my take on it.

@Freedompath, got it. thanks.

@walklightly

With "trust" there is a measure of certainty that "hope" doesn't have. With the "hope" that your child will come home safe, there is the knowledge that it may not happen. With the "trust" that your child will come home safe, the is the belief it "will" happen. The statistics don't mesh with "trust". That is the difference I see.

πŸ™‚ @Betty interesting, how differently we - as humans in general - interpret words. for me trust is connected to my limited understanding of the universe. trusting that the universe will reveal everything to my advantage, even if things appear challenging at times - which we need, too, in order to grow. in saying that i do not dismiss your take on it. just that mine is different πŸ˜‰

@walklightly

Agreed. πŸ™‚

False hope may be comforting, but where’s the fun in that? Id rather see reality as closely as I can, no matter the comfort level.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion" - Carl Sagan

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23050
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.