Agnostic.com

28 6

Is continuously exposing a child to religion child abuse?

As a society we do not discourage children being exposed to religion believing we are providing them with moral guidance and spirituality. From the time of circumcision and baptism through Sunday school and catechism we smile benignly as children repeat creation myths, stories about Noah's ark and giant fish swallowing prophets who live in the belly of a whale. Are we sparking their imaginations or suppressing their ability to think critically? In a free society how can this practice be discouraged? Should parents and other adults who take part in this process be under psychiatric care?

GareBear517 7 Oct 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course it is. Anything that misleads or misinforms a child is abusive. That does not mean one needs to be coldly and brutally honest about things, because that can be just as abusive as the former.

I consider anything that causes a young mind to reject the world as it is in favor of some nonsense about how we wish it was does a disservice to humankind in general and to the young person in particular.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Religious indoctrination is child abuse. We consider it child abuse if a child is beaten, molested, or mentally and emotionally berated. But for some reason it gets a free pass when an adult tells a child that if they don’t behave or believe a certain way, when they die god will send them to a place of eternal torture. This can be just as if not more psychologically damaging than other forms of abuse.

I consider it abuse. My parents let me choose my own path and it didn't take long for me to come to the conclusion that organized religion was a con. Then, after I separated from my first wife, her new husband indoctrinated my youngest daughter - an otherwise highly intelligent individual. She's happy and I am happy about that - but in her latest Skype she told me about her new man - she met him at her Church - a somewhat Pentecostal outfit - all I could think off is that their kids (if they get that far) don't stand a chance.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2310
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.