Agnostic.com

12 8

What do you enjoy about workplace holiday parties?

The most memorable staff holiday party was when I wrote funny limericks for and about each employee, some 50 people.

Poor as a mouse, I was paying for graduate school while earning $12,000/year as a YMCA program director. Couldn't afford gifts.

Driving between the University of Washington and the Auburn YMCA, I had 45 minutes to think up limericks. I could compose and hold in my mind two limericks at a time. Arriving at work, I immediately wrote them down.

At the staff holiday party, I gave each person a Christmas card with their silly limerick inside. Laughing, they took turns reading the limericks aloud.

It was a fun and heart-warming experience.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being somewhere else.....

Not having to put doors on cars for an extra 20 minutes.lol

I worked for a big accounting firm and every year they organized a gathering in the best hotel in the city and it was a formal affair.
One year I met a woman (black) in the Mountaineers and we became friends. I invited her as my date to the office party. When I showed up at her apt. she asked me to help her with her strapless gown and put my hand down her breasts? She said the strapless bra wouldn't stay down and she needed me to hold it in place (did I mention she was very assertive).

As per usual a partner sat at each table and at my table was a partner who was a strong Catholic (5 kids) and his wife. When he saw my date with her low cut gown and sparkles his eye almost popped out of his head. It was embarrassing watching him. The next day he asked all kinds of questions but when I mentioned her ear rings he said he didn't see them because he didn't see her face (he was too busy looking elsewhere).

Years later after I married my late partner we went to the party. Someone talked her into sampling a spoon of crabcake (she hated shellfish). She put the spoon in her mouth and started to gag (I had to tell her to take the spoon out of her mouth and return it. She then looked around and saw the large holiday tree and ran behind it and spit out the offending object. As we walked around the tree there was the photographer and took our picture. For years that picture reminded me of the funny incident.

Absolutely nothing.

I organise Secret Santas, Christmas 'does' and prizes etc. To be honest I hate going. I never drink and don't really enjoy watching a bunch of university lecturers get drunk. Now when I worked in practice, that was different. They were my tribe, nurses who had been through hell and back. We never got Christmas does because we always worked them. Parties came sometime in feb when we could all get a night off. We'd drink gin and remincise about times gone by, the people we'd loved and lost and different eras of overly starched uniforms and discipline. It wasn't a good night unless there had been a falling out, tears and someone throwing up in the loo! Aww we are British nurses, a tough breed. I miss that.

Indifferent to these,I spend enough time around those people already

The best gifts are the ones we create. It shows we’re thinking about the recipient as more than a checkbox on a list. Your gifts speak to your recognition of the people around you.

My favorite parts: 1) meeting coworkers’ SO’s 2) dancing.

Oh, and I totally forgot about this til I read your post: Ine year I wrote my own lyrics to the tune of The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting...). I worked about 25 coworkers into the song. I sang it at the company holiday party. HUGE hit!

@BobbyZen

Wonderful!

You just reminded me of when I rewrote the poem, "Casey at the Bat" as our report at the annual, Seattle YMCA professional staff retreat. It was held at Camp Orkila, Orcas Island, WA, in the beautiful San Juan Islands.

Dressed in baseball uniforms, the executive director and I performed the poem, dramatically telling the story of how we turned around the Auburn YMCA financially with the help of employees. It was a big hit!

Where he got the baseball uniforms is beyond me.

@LiterateHiker I can envision that. As a former theater major and amateur actor and director, that just tickles me ?

That you occasionally leave with a bonus check..

Varn Level 8 Nov 26, 2018

Timing how long it takes before someone is drunk and in a fountain. Bonus points if cops are called. True story.

The smile on my employees faces when I give them their Christmas bonus..........

Takes a talented mind to do that... Kudos to you!

I remember learning how to compose a limerick in grade school. Took me three days... (and the nun didn’t like it. Don’t blame her.)

So again, kudos to you!

@santanaman9

What a nice thing to say. Thank you.

I bet they also remembered that more than getting a bag of cookies or a smelly candle...what a clever gift!

@thinktwice

Thank you! I appreciate you.

@LiterateHiker The only work holiday party that was memorable to me was the one where I decided to make my dress on the day of the party. The dress was fine, but I did not have the proper bra, so I used an old bra, cut the straps and made a make-shift halter bra. If that wasn't bad enough, I didn't want to wear pantyhose, so I wore knee highs. The dress was long enough to cover the tops.

When I arrived at the hotel, I went to the concierge desk to ask where the party was since I was already late. I am standing there, thinking I looked all hot and beautiful because people were staring at me....uh, my knee highs had lost their elasticity and were puddled around my ankles. I quickly ran to the bathroom and saw that one of my bra straps had also popped and was dangling in the back.

UGH! Thank goodness only a few people I worked with saw me. I am sure I made their night memorable...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:231761
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.