Agnostic.com

4 5

For those seeking fairness, or love. Or fairness in love.

“Fairness is a concept that holds only in limited situations. Yet we want the concept to extend to everything, in and out of phase. From snails to hardware stores to married life. Maybe no one finds it, or even misses it, but fairness is like love. What is given has nothing to do with what we seek.”

• Haruki Murakami, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World-
AtheistReader 7 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to watch a highly educational show called "Malcolm in the Middle." It taught me that life is unfair.

I get it. Give because you want to, not because you expect anything in return. When you do that, it's done freely and sincerely.

unfortunately, fairness seems to be irrelevant. hmmm that has me thinking now.. what is given has nothing to do with what we seek>?

Yes. In fairness, or love. That was Haruki Murakami's point. People seek fairness, as if it should be a given condition. It is not. Sometimes, it can exist, but not in the form that we initially sought. The same with love. The love we are given may not be, and often is not, the love we sought.

@KenChang that is so true... I think that the Love usually comes as a surprise

@KenChang I am not the expert though lol

So beautiful! I love this!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:232794
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.