Agnostic.com

14 2

Is it possible to be an atheist and to be politically conservative? In my experience, people who aren't religious tend to be less rigid in their political philosophy -- liberal/progressive.

RichardAP 4 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A title of a politically conservative or an atheist is merely giving a name to a belief or beliefs. The term atheist means only a person with no god belief. You can have any other views you want or need. Comparing atheism and political conservatism is like comparing oranges and apples.

Now adding religious conservatism to the mix is merely adding a bell to a sheep.

I would say yes but I also think there is a shift going on right now. It seems a hard divide is forming and the preasure to choose sides seems to be building. Someone might consider themselves more conservative but find the far right too distasteful and rigid. It's also possible to fall off the scale all together, just be independant and progressive... not exactly liberal but not quite conservative either.

AmyLF Level 7 Feb 14, 2018

The spectrum is broad, and there is always more gray than black or white. Would any sane person lump the following atheists into a single political philosophy? Milo Yiannopoulos, George Will, Jesse Ventura, Penn Gillette, Charles Krauthammer, Sam Harris and Bill Maher? Atheism is not equivalent to a political statement.

I say no. Their team is centered around religion, that's the case for conservatives in most countries even where the religion is not Christianity. You CAN however believe in an unregulated economy, a strong military, closed borders, etc etc and still be an atheist. I really hope this happens to the republican party someday. We'd be much better off.

a psychopath could. greed uber alles

Is it possible to be an atheist and to be politically conservative ? I am quite utre you would have nto define what you mean by "Conservative.
In so far as I am frugal both with my funds and expect the government to be careful as well, yes
In so far as I believe society functions best when all citizens are able to participate and function to the best of their ability, Yes.
In so far as I feel it is good to conserve and protect our environment, yes as well.
And politically as far as I favor the concept of "Promouvoir la liberté, l'égalité, la fraternité et l'opportunité pour tous, oui, ça aussi.
Also politically, as far as government functioning best at the most local level possible being best although in a nation of fifty different states, and some 3,100 (+) County level governments many functions must be managed on a national level, yes as well.
I think all I cited are considered Conservative , at least in my mind, and none are based on being an atheist.
So to get a straight answer you ought to define you terms.

Sorry I wasn't clearer, what I was referring to is the current state of conservatism, which I see as reactionary. I really wasn't fishing for your definition of conservative, which I have to say is not conservative in the current political climate in this country.

I consider myself to be a fiscal conservative and social liberal. But hey, I'm pretty much the opposite of every Republican out there when it comes to spending. I think Spending on the military needs to be cut by at least 50%, I think health insurance should be outlawed, I think the healthcare industry should be forced back into non-profit status, I think we need to spend money on infrastructure, and I think we need to re-implement the tiered tax system we had in the 1950s.

d_day Level 7 Feb 12, 2018

you have to change the way your judges rise to power [ ie . appoint rather than elect] and you have to change the way your schools, and more specifically your teachers, are funded. [ state as opposed to municipal ] and then you have a chance

I used to say no but have come to realize that although small in numbers, they do exist

Bear in mind that the label "conservative" has been hi-jacked by regressives who realize their return to the 1850s can not happen under that banner so they have to hi-jack another route.

I agree. I have said here before that so called "conservatives" are not Conservatives, but reactionaries with regressive ideas. Conservatism, in a classic sense, is a respectable political philosophy which shows caution against radicalism and respect for tradition. Even though I would never call myself a Conservative. These Right Wing bods now show no respect for anyone or anything except fragrant wealth and privilege;

@David1955 smells good !

I think it's possible, problem is that the conservative party as we know it has been totally high jacked by evangelicals. To pander to their base the overwhelming majority of Republican politicians structure their platforms and policy based on what they consider religious moral codes that most nonbelievers find lacking in logic or reason. In my opinion these labels are divisive and antiquated. Clinging to this religious dogma has alienated most atheist and agnostics from the conservative party. Republicans used to be about fiscal responsibility and limited government, sadly they have let their rigid religious intolerance get in the way of making sound decisions for the betterment of the society as a whole. Personally I think both sides are crooked and have issues lol.

well said!

Well, judging from the number of people on this site who claim to be atheist or agnostic, but are obviously very politically conservative, I would have to say yes. I don't quite understand it. Although it might be said that political views and religious views are separate, in truth in life they are not. When I come across someone here who is clearly very conservative in their views, I tend to steer clear. I know otherwise it might not end well. Come to think of it, it's the same for me in the real world.

Apparently, although it's less likely due to liberals typically being more flexible, and accepting of diversity.

Scientific Proof: Liberals Are Smarter Than Conservatives [wp.me]

For the most part I agree that we see more flexibility of thought among liberals, who are less beholden to tradition and rigid thinking, so it seems easier for liberals to let go of religion — but there are some conservatives on this site who are atheists, too, so there are no absolutes in this regard.

I'm not sure how a conservative would even vote, considering that the Republican Party increases the debt and deficit far more than the Democratic Party.

Marz Level 7 Feb 12, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23445
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.