Agnostic.com

15 2

Would you feel overwhelmed with guilt if you stole something?

This would have to depend to what I stole and my reasons. For example, I would never steal from a friend or anybody whose been good to me, but if it came down to an emergency and I needed something and didn’t have the money, I would feel no guilt what’s so ever. Lol I know! I’m messed up!

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have never been in a desperate situation before, like needing food for kids...I would probably find a way to get help way before I thought about stealing it...not sure I could steal without feeling awful...I have returned to stores that gave me wrong change (too much) or forgot to scan my water...it is just not worth it to me to get something I didn't pay for...I won't say "never" will happen...I just don't think I would.....

I've been given more change than I had coming from a grocery clerk, I once found a $20 dollar bill in a parking lot, I have a nice pair of sunglasses I once found left behind in a men's restroom -- I kept all these things. Have I ever actively set out to take something that wasn't mine; no.

I once had $600 stolen from me by someone I trusted -- my step-sister. It was in a drawer prior to be being banked then, later, it was gone and so was she. She was messed up on meth at the time. I consider her to be a crook. But if she had found it on the street, knew nothing about it and kept it then I would just consider myself a dumbass for having dropped it.

Yes. I still feel bad that I took a blaster from a Star Wars action figure at the store because I had lost the one that belonged to my Jawa. Some kid got a Jawa without a blaster. 😟
That was about 40 years ago.

Don't know...I never steal anything.

Not if l stole someone's heart. 🙂

I would not steal anything. i even pay taxes which is more than my wealthy neighbors do.

Too many variables.
Every once in a while, I get free toilet paper and sometimes dog food, from Walmart. I tell the cashier that the stuff needs to be shot with the scan gun, but
they don't always do it.
I don't feel guilty about that. Not even a little bit.

Do humans really NEED to steal food from grocery stores when if you ask the manager for something to eat in the break room or dated packages ready to be donated to the nearest food bank WHEN THEY'RE open

Yes,and i know i would be miserable, so i wouldn't do it to start with! You?

To steal from an individual whose life circumstances you can't really know? It's wrong. You're hurting their feeling of safety in the world.
You can't presume 'they're fine'. I've seen too many mental health clients - already fragile - sent to the hospital by someone thinking it didn't matter if they stole from someone on fixed income.
It does matter.
Google it and find out what happens when people think that way.

Someone broke into my house and stole all my jewelry. It would seem like material possessions that could easily be replaced, but in there were things that my mother passed down to me that had been passed down to her. In there was my high school graduation ring. The jewelry had a high sentimental value to me and were probably pawned for hardly anything. Feel guilty.

Dopers steal to feed their habit too stoned to keep a job

@GreenAtheist While I don't doubt that there are dopers who steal to support their habit, I feel the need to say that many dopers do not steal and do support their habit by earning money.

@Stephanie99 I agree getting stoned is not a stereotype

What...like you're heart? No way sweetie! 😉 lol

Will I get caught? ?

Like you, it would depend on the situation. I would never, under any circumstances, steal from a private individual, unless perhaps I was poor and hungry and I knew they were rich. On the other hand, I don't believe it's morally wrong if a desperate parent steals food from a large shop such as Walmart to feed her/his children, and I wouldn't feel any guilt at all if I had to do that.

Jnei Level 8 Dec 3, 2018

Not if it were Donald Trump's orange hair (?) mop piece. I could live guiltlessly. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:236047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.