Agnostic.com

17 11

Christian Martyr or “American Dickhead”?

I'm going with "insane arrogance."

Missionary John Allen Chau, 26, had received training and support from a number of American evangelical missions groups.

“Chau’s stunt not only had absolutely no chance of success, it also stood to bring sickness and death to this tribe,” the conservative Christian writer Rod Dreher wrote last week. “How could any Christian justify this?”

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was surprised that I only lost one friend after posting this photo on my Facebook this week.

Brutal, but all too accurate. Thinking about this guy gave me an earworm. What song? "American Idiot" of course.

Ignorant fuck is pretty much what I called him when I heard the news about it. Now I’m just hoping that Sean hannity will want to go there next. ?

He gets a Darwin Award. Read about the Inquisition and the 30 Years War plus the clerical scandals. Christians can never atone for their atrocities.

If I wanted to teach Mary Poppins or Pinocchio to natural humans unspoiled by technology and printed lies like the fake calendar of xians...my desire would be genocidal just like John Quincy Adams and evil gangster Andrew Jackson = Chau too

Well meaning, but brain-washed

I'd go with "Ignorant, suicidal, unethical American dickhead." He got what he deserved.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 3, 2018

This is the unfortunate side-effect of Fundamentalism. Only one group gets to be right, and the consequences are dire for anyone who disagrees, and therefore they must scour the earth to make everyone like them. It's a profoundly dangerous theology... for everyone.

Brainwashed and arrogant.

I’ve started keeping arrows by my front door. Be prepared.

Same old way,claiming to know the will of god?

Failed crusader.

I think what happened to this guy was hysterical. Upon his arrival in Heaven, God would've shook his head and said "You're an idiot."

Arrogant American asshole.

JimG Level 8 Dec 3, 2018

Martyr, ha, give me a break. American dumbass. More moronic than trying such shit in North Korea. I had heard about those people before. The fishermen who stranded there were killed, buried, dug up and then hung up on the beach as a warning.
I have, because of this idiot, read more about the island people. They are dying out. They don't have enough people to sustain a genetically diverse population. The reason? The last guy they left on the island 70 some years ago introduced some diseases they had no immunity against. They have good reason to kill outsiders.
Imagine if the Natives in the Americas had fought back. Probably a similar outcome to what we have now, in the long run, but the Europeans would have slowed their conquests.

Extremely naïve. And I'm being kind.

Maybe someone Xtian could explain to me exactly how this fool differs from the bombers looking for a hotline to heaven?

He was warned. He knew that his intrusion was illegal. He had no right to try to impose his beliefs on others. That is all that needs to be said.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:236266
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.