11 2

Weirdest part about 'Christian' holidays/celebrations/customs?

What do you think is the weirdest tradition we up keep in western culture? Xmas, Easter, Halloween etc. (If you were new to our society/culture what do you think is strange about common holidays customs, etc?)

By Chooseluv
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

11 comments

They are all taken from pagan religions.
Thats odd. You would think all of their holidays would prove their one true religion.

Curioussapien Level 3 Dec 11, 2018

People in the past put burning candles on dried pine. It's so obvious your going to burn your house down.

sammidenver Level 2 Dec 6, 2018

This is not religious but cultural. And only in Australia can this happen! We have a day off for a horse race, a day off the day before the AFL Grand Final, and a day off for the Queen’s birthday which is not on the day of the Queen’s birthday and Australia doesn’t really give two hoots for the Queen anyway. Love Australian pragmatism!

Geoffrey51 Level 7 Dec 6, 2018

To my mind it is the idea of Xtians sitting down and feasting, thanking their God for everything whilst elsewhere there are people, men, women and children literally starving to death.

Triphid Level 7 Dec 4, 2018

Uuuhh Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The new christmas traditions.

NoSmokeNMirrors Level 3 Dec 4, 2018

Those holidays are crazy days people follow blindly without knowing why

kaso Level 1 Dec 4, 2018

Not so much weird as they aren't about tradition anymore. Instead more about how much money they can take in. The weird thing is here in Scotland Easter eggs go on sale either just before or just after xmas and Easter is In April. You can buy Easter stuff 4 months before

darien75 Level 7 Dec 4, 2018

I always think it’s pretty funny that Christians love Easter, a springtime/rebirth celebration characterized and represented by the fucking-prowess of bunnies and the reproductive symbol of an egg.

flithyMONKEYmen Level 5 Dec 3, 2018

Ya they adopted the pagan symbolism to attract more followers. They did the same with Christmas being 3 days after the winter solstice...

Costumes are fun. Dirty donkey stables do NOT birth alleged baby gawd through alleged vaginal virgins. ...bloody torture deaths are not survived and candy eggs on dogshit lawns. ...you can't fool me when I was 5 years old....I hate religious lies making fun of us kids if we want presents we have no jobs to buy anything ourselves

GreenAtheist Level 7 Dec 3, 2018

I think the weirdest tradition is pretending most holidays are christian when they're not. Also, commercializing everything to the point that nothing has any meaning.

Teaching children about a fat man in a red suit squeezing down a chimney to leave presents and eat cookies is pretty weird though.

Paracosm Level 7 Dec 3, 2018

Smart marketing on behalf of Coca Cola I believe! Father Christmas was originally related to a nature god dressed in green I think but may be wrong about that.

I'd say Halloween, we spend all our time telling our kids not to take stuff or talk to strangers and then we encourage them to solicit and take candy from strangers...? Or Santa... A fat man flies around delivering presents rather than your parents worked hard to give you a gift? What do you think?

Chooseluv Level 4 Dec 3, 2018

If you think our holloween is weird you should look up the original pagan's holloween, or all hollows' eve as it was known. And our Christmas is much more tame as compared to somwhere like Central Europe. Where they not only have St. Nichols, but a demon named Krampus who kidnaps and beats the shit out of misbehaving children.

Write Comment

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

Similar Posts

Lost Cause for the Confederacy For those who think the civil war has ended think again Why I don't feel guilty about celebrating Christmas 1. Its not Christian. We all know this and we ... <12 min. Video This Pastor Is Melting Purity Rings Into A Golden Vagina Sculpture | HuffPost A nonbeliever explains why Christian symbols do not express universal ethical values - Los Angeles ... What do you enjoy about workplace holiday parties? As one who was brought up in a Christian household, and has spent his life in government jobs, is it... Not everyone spending Thanksgiving alone wants to be pitied. Sometimes it's a conscious choice, ... Happy thanksgiving to all. I'm breaking out my thanksgiving dress, that would also work perfectly if... For those of you who are alone during the holidays, (and would prefer not to be), meetup.com has ... For those who will meet up with family (and friends) this holiday season, here's some advice from ... Do you listen to religious music? What is your moral compass? Are Churches anti-choice? Memories of a Catholic elementary school protest: By pointing out ... Greece Church agreement to take 10,000 priests off payroll - BBC News Do You Feel Like an Outsider? What is your way of coping with trauma and grief of losing someone (in my case a child, a family ... Liberals Are from Mars, Conservatives Are from Venus - Scientific American What is/are your favourite Christmas song/s? I was brought up Catholic and Christmas is an important... Do you have a book you bought perhaps as a holiday read that never got read and still sits on your ...

Categories

Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!