Agnostic.com

44 3

When to write a man off?

I waffle on this a lot having just re-entered the dating world about a year ago. You have a solid first date. Then radio silence. What’s an acceptable amount of time to give him? What’s an acceptable amount of time before you cross him off the list as a non-starter?

For context: no, I’m not waiting by the phone. I’ve had men text that night and had men vanish for 6 weeks and resurface. And I am dating around plenty. So, this is not a pity party. It’s... for science.
#ididntdateinhighschool

• 16 votes
  • 51 votes
  • 18 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 6 votes
  • 4 votes
brainyactress 7 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would have put Two days but it was not a option. If a guy is truly interested then he won't wait that long to talk again.

Yeah, I've read that in the internet dating age the 3-day-rule is obsolete.

When he shows you who he really is on the inside, believe him. I wish I had followed this advice in the past!

Kat Level 5 Dec 7, 2018

Ya live and sometimes learn! ?

I voted for 24 hours. If they aren’t excited, than it isn’t a match.
Shyness/anxiety could forgive a few days. But a week? Then I’m a fallback.
Compatibility is fickle.

It happens for both sides.
By default I think always that the other person considered the first date a ONS until the second date happens.

People do get distracted but a date should be concluded with some mutual time for next date....if neither asked for a next time it's not a man or woman science question. ...if the good date was Friday then s/he must call by Thorsday ....nobody should be left hanging without a plan next weekend

3 days was the old normal.. 6 days of he has a good excuse as to why .

I love the voting choices. Hilarious! Three days sounds okay. If it seemed like there was an encouraging spark, but then no contact after three days, I might feel a twinge of mild disappointment, but no harm done. So many times I have crossed my own threshold after a date thinking "I hope he loses my number..."

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 4, 2018

I guess I’m actually curious as to what they say the reason is if/when they resurfaced. Maybe they’re clueless too.

Essie Level 6 Dec 4, 2018

I'll give them 24 hours. If things went well and they're truly interested, they should be excited to continue speaking with you. If they stop talking to you after the first date, then it's time to move on and focus your energy on someone worth your time.

I've been talked off, jerked off and blown off. Being written off sounds epic. I can't wait!

As a terrible communicator myself, I lean toward a week to 10 days.

I would give the benefit of the doubt for a day or two, things happen, phones break, etc... Three days is good to me, I typically girls I'm dating on the daily, myself.

Since I haven't been on a date for almost two years, I'm just here for the comments and reactions on others deal with 'the date'.

You're instincts should tell you so trust them, just don't over think it 🙂

Park outside his home .... ???? seriously, if you think the date was worth follow-up contact, and he is silent, take the initiative. But, i wouldn't give more than one chance to get on same page. You'll miss out on something good chasing after something that's not mutually exciting.

I'm dying,from the join a Convent but in all seriousness 3 days, everyone's worried about not coming off too needy but if he hasnt said anything at all within 3 days, I don't think he's dedicated or interested.

Why wait at all? If you felt a connection and want to explore the relationship further, just text him and offer a sceond date! If you don't feel that way, who cares if he texts at all?

Although the park outside his house is understandable...?

The world moves fast. If you're keen and wait 3 days you're gonna lose your turn. A lot.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:236679
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.