Agnostic.com

9 3

LINK How do other atheists/ agnostics celebrate winter season.

I have no X-mas tree or decorations, but I have family that I give gifts because they are religious.

alanalorie 7 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For the most part, I do not celebrate the Winter season; it is cold, and has few redeeming qualities, other than the opportunity to layer clothing. I do however celebrate the holiday Christmas, although in a completely secular fashion. Sadly, major holidays seem to be the only time my entire family deigns to get together.

Kate and I do not do Christmas , we sit together talk and cook a dinner together.

I celebrate it like everybody else,without the overt religiosity?

I have the tendency to sleep more.

Alcohol - must have whisky in my Christmas morning tea, it's been a tradition in my family since 1915, Pressies, fry up breakfast, start Christmas dinner preparations, the three Ss, eat chocolates, drink, play music, fiddle with pressies, finish cooking dinner (big bit of dead cow), eat, drink pile up washing up, sleep, snore, fart, TV, eat more food and drink maybe stare at washing up momentarily, go to bed, sleep, snore and more farting. With saddened melancholy, miss my late wifes horrendous brussel sprout Christmas day farts.

Same like anybody else... Crazy spending on gifts no one appreciate but all is forgotten with the right amount of booze, food, leizure binge watching whatever.... it's all good. Who needs God for that?

i light candles, make latkes, spin a dreidel, talk about freedom of/from religion (which, despite the later addition of the "miracle" bit, is what chanukah is about). i also try not to fall down. it's icy out.

g

I have no problem celebrating Christmas -- likewise Easter -- since end of December public holidays precede Christmas by at least a millennium.

Good point. Pagan winter festivals were turned into Christan festivals.

@alanalorie - Essentially Constantine's compromise to make Christians stop fighting other citizens of his Roman empire.
"Christians, you're the official religion. You won. Hooray."
"Pagans, we're keeping your holidays and icons. You won. Hooray."

I love decorating for christmas. My activities have no religious basis whatsoever. I consider christmas a special family time.

Yes, It is a good time to show you love your families.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:237367
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.