Agnostic.com

11 1

"what if you're wrong" argument response

Who has the best "what if you're wrong" argument response?

My personal favorite is "Stephen Fry on God"

#god
RyanCirca85 3 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I'm wrong then I will probably tell Zeus, Wotan, Thor Jupiter or who ever "Well could have been worse you might have been that twat the Christian worship"
Then we'll probably have a drink and I'll ask them if it is possible to commit suicide in Asgard.

I ask them to show me and with their book and there’s no one in my heart either.
So show me someone who has been dead for more than a couple of minutes I’m talking like hours or days and if they can tell me in exact detail what heaven or hell is like then there’s a chance that I’ll consider their sales pitch.

But first I want the number to that person’s travel agent. ?

I just tell them that I'm prepared to take that chance.

One is never wrong, so lets get the discussion going. You may have been misinformed, misled or conned in which case you still impede your argument and the cause for which you are entitled to speak your mind regardless of being accused. Your never wrong. Only stand to be corrected and take that from whomever sent it.

I point out that they're employing pascals wager, explain that if they've not heard of it, and the two main reasons why it's a bullshit argument that doesnt matter: you can't create faith out of fear. if you believe to hedge your bets, it wouldn't fool an omniscient god into thinking you had real faith in him. Then if you somehow still decided that faking it and betting on gods existence could help you, which one of the thousands do you bet on? You only get to place one bet, this ain't roulette or craps. Based on what, the lottery of where you're born?

Search pascals wager in the posts, and in general on the web. I'm sure there are a hundred ways of disarming this fallacious proposition.

What if pigs could fly?

"It is possible that I'm wrong. I've been wrong in the past. Can you show me solid evidence that I'm wrong? I will follow the best fact-based evidence wherever it leads."

Then I proceed to tear their flimsy, myth-based "evidence" to pieces with science, reasoning and logic.

Not worried. Lots of gods around.

" I'm not going to put my interpretation of life on hold in the meantime " , is what I've said in the past.

"what if you're right, but you've picked the wrong god?"

Yeah that is my go to response too

I wouldn't want to get in not on his (her/it's) terms.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:237646
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.