Agnostic.com

78 6

Cremation or burial for your funeral?

I found this interesting link about the confessions of a funeral director and a pastor’s disagreement about the cremation of the body. I found it to be quite hypocritical, considering the history of all the victims being burned by the church in history.

[calebwilde.com]

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

78 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd like to be stuffed and mounted in a hunting lodge with a sign that says "the hunter does not always win!"

Teleportation into space. Don't need my dead body contributing to pollution. Maybe my ashes will knock out a Fox satellite.

godef Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

Cremation for me. I wish to be buried at sea and that is a requirement of the process. I am also an organ donor, so the box will be a little lighter.

What ever the people I leave behind want. What do I care, I am dead!

When I die, I've let everyone in my family know my plans, in the hopes of cutting off people surviving me who think they know better than I what I really want (trust me, it happens). I carry a card in my wallet from a nearby medical school that states upon my demise my body is to go to their school for a period of one year. After that time, I'll be cremated and the ashes returned to my wife, should she still be living. It's the least expensive option for my survivors, and I like the thought that I'll be helping medical students gain valuable hands-on experience.

My mother wanted this for herself, but when the time came I was out-voted by other family members who were dismayed by her choice. "Do you realize what they do with those bodies?" they asked. Actually, I do. Among other things they cut out pieces of you and pass them around the room for show and tell. A few, to relieve their nervousness, probably make crude remarks. And they all see you in all you're dead, naked glory. It wouldn't have bothered her, and it won't bother me. Nevertheless, the rest of the family voted to have her cremated immediately, which may have settled their queasiness, but did nothing to respect the wishes that she had made clear for years.

So the answer is -- eventually -- cremation.

Neither, my body is going to a body farm for forensic study. I will slowly decay in whatever circumstances they decide in the hopes that whatever they learn from it can be used to solve murders.

JimG Level 8 Feb 13, 2018

I don't care. I'm an organ donor, what happens after that is up to my BFF, my executor, and my girlfriend / wife if I have one at the time.

Cremation for me. I'm an organ donor though.

Planning a "green burial." One of my friends owns some land in the country. There is a cemetery that only has two burials – infants who died around 1860. A green burial means just like those children were buried. Dig a hole at least 3 feet deep and roll my earthly remains back into the earth. The funeral industry has a powerful lobby, but some type of green burial is allowed in most states. Further info: greenburialcouncil.org.

Cremation -- no funeral or service.

Clerics of all religions are far too swept up in their mythologies to consider practicalities - such as acres and acres and MILES of land leeching embalming fluid into the groundwater from bodies not decaying fast enough to benefit the soil. This land could be used for far better purposes than awaiting a paleolithic fairy tale. Funeral costs are obscene; an industry taking advantage of people at their most vulnerable. Both burial and cremation have negative environmental impacts but green options are not yet widely available. When my husband died I had him cremated with no funeral service. I have the ashes of his bones in a lovely chest in my living room - thus he's always with me. I find it gross and macabre to imagine him rotting (very slowly) in a box in the ground someplace else where I have to travel to stare at the ground and imagine his grotesquerie beneath my feet. Ugh.

Like my husband used to say..."Put my ashes in a douch bag and run me through one more time."

I'm having a cremation and my ashes will be spread out in the ocean off Norfolk for fish food. With any luck I might come back as a whale. hahahahahaha.

Cremation

Do with my body as you wish, I'll be dead and will not care because I won't be able to

Launch my casket off a catapult...like when they did it in "Northern Exposure".

Cremation. Then scatter me as fertilizer in my gardens. Use me to keep growing food. Don't waste any more space on cemeteries. All that does is cater to the insecurities of the living.

Why to worry about something you won't witness?

I'll be dead so I really don't care what happens to my body. I'm leaving that up to whoever wants to deal with it. If it were up to me, I'd have it flown to a remote place in the mountains and thrown out of the plane to feed all the little creatures.

I don't care, throw me in the trash!

No funeral for me whatever and cremation as that's the only real option I can choose. you don't have to have any service.

My plan is to be cremated so my son can build a shrine in the most used room in his home.

He tells me that's not gonna happen.

Thou art Dust, and unto Dust Thou Shall Return. So you kick it up a few notches. I do not want to be buried but cremated and spread all over the world so I can keep travelling.

Cremation

I'm not crazy about all the embedded traditions and the hard and fast rules that govern them, but there are a couple of elements of Jewish burials that I find quite appealing, beginning with the plain, unadorned coffin. I've never sat through a pitch for a coffin that didn't include a guarantee from the seller that the coffin wouldn't leak for a number of years into the future. Of what possible concern is that to the deceased? They're dead. What do they care if they leak or not? The second aspect of Jewish burials that really appeals to me is the lack of embalming fluid. Together with the plain coffin, these two aspects ensure a quick return to the elements.

If I wasn't pre-committed to the body donation/embalming route, it's something I'd consider.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23938
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.