Agnostic.com

22 3

Do you have any beliefs that aren't supported by evidence?

RhondaShotwell 7 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe that humanity is capable of doing better than we currently are. More of a desire I guess.

Yes, I do believe humanity is capable of doing better, and I certainly hope to see it, but I'm not so sure there is much of a will for it right now. Evidence for that seems to be lacking, imo, but there's always hope!

I believe we are not the only intelligent life in the Universe.

I like to think so, and it seems a very real possibility, but as of yet I don't see any evidence for it.

Yes. I believe in happy endings, but not every time.

But, there is evidence for happy endings, right?

Sometimes, and always after the fact.

I tend to ask for evidence when people say things to me that sound "untrue," but I have a ton of beliefs that I'm not even aware of, so it's possible that they're back there. Unfortunately, I don't find out about them until someone says something that's opposite that belief, then I get my hackles up, and that's how I know I have a belief... because it's just been challenged.

But I've said often that "beliefs only happen in the absence of data," and therefore any belief would, by definition, be unsupported by evidence. Once evidence is present, there's no need to believe anymore.

Still, I have lots of beliefs that I allow to hang out because they're useful. For instance: I "know" that ghosts and demons and other mythical creatures don't exist, but as a writer, and one who writes about ghosts and vampires and demons, I allow myself to think about them 'logically' as if I did believe in them. I know magic isn't real, but I'll watch Harry Potter over and over and over again. I understand mythology is simply a series of stories we tell ourselves about the world around us, but I still love the Lord of the Rings trilogy. So much that I've read the book a hundred times, and spent the extra pennies on the special version of the movies that added in all the extra scenes.

I'm pretty sure that nothing happens after we die, but I still play with what it would be like to come back as a ghost, or to have to find my way to the gods the way the Egyptians did, or what Heaven might look like if it were real.

For me, it's about the story. While these things can't happen in real life, they can in our minds, and that fascinates me. In my mind I can come back from the dead, levitate the TV remote to me when I forget to bring it with me, or point my finger and make something appear from thin air. These things happen in my head while I read or tell the story. So I play with them.

I wanted to believe in reincarnation, but I read one too many anecdotal stories, and that helped me lose interest in that belief. Wishful thinking!

I believe my cat likes me, despite the disdainful looks he gives me and my apparent inability to get his feeding schedule right.

I believe that I will one day soon have a girlfriend again! We have loads in common, and she likes indoor climbing!

Out of all the beliefs that's a pretty nice one to have!

I believe in extraterrestrial intelligence being there, I've been a longtime sci-fi reader (44 years) so that may have an effect on me.
As a friend stated,
"Q: If there is intelligence out there why haven't we heard from them?"
A: "Someone also has to be first."

No matter what I believe if I am wrong please prove to me why.

An alternate answer for that question could be that we haven't heard from them BECAUSE they are intelligent! 😉

Snarky comment: I like to believe that there is intelligent life on earth/in the universe and sometime I think I have evidence, but when I read some of what I read, I wonder.....

No kidding!

i believe that 99. 8% of humans are nice but I am guessing

You are certainly more positive in that than I am! 99.8% is a reallly high estimate, but I'm willing to believe that most people are pretty decent most times. I'm not sure I share that same percentage for it, though.

Sure..the positive beliefs for my future.

Hm. I have hypothesizes that I would like to believe, but I don't have evidence either way yet.

I probably do. Humans default to assumptions easily. We all do. The key is being willing to examine those basic assumptions if they are challenged.

As a skeptic I want to see the evidence.

That the Cubs will win the World Series. No wait… That's been done!

Nope.

Evidence must first be described/defined before this question can get a clear answer. Each person has the primary power to qualify what is and isn't acceptable as evidence in their personal sphere of thinking and reasoning.

The 'bar' for what is evidentiary isn't set externally for those who are intellectually independent. For one to be merely accused of having beliefs not supported by 'evidence', isn't enough; except perhaps for members of a presumptuous herd, gang, political party or religion.

There is no cosmic law requiring anyone to submit what they personally accept as evidence for approval or validation by others.

Yes, I believe that by following a healthy mostly vegetarian diet, that I will live longer. I won't know until I die, or at least become very sick.

I hope you don't become very sick! That would suck. As for the other, well, I am powerless to stop that, but I wish you all the luck in the mean time!

Not really unless it counts that I believe my chair will support my weight - so, there might be a difference between logical and undisprovable, illogical beliefs. My Granny believed that the first men in space didnt happen outside a T.V Studio and its such a lovely one I would like to believe that too ,but I don't

So very many. But I will gladly drop them when given evidence to the contrary, until then.......

Nope.

If I do it's because I believe that science can prove the belief, it just hasn't yet.

I believe that several terrestrial species evolved in the Earth's deep-time past. They would have sufficiently developed physically/socially/spiritually/technologically to make it into space. First place "they" would have gone to was like us: the Moon.

Followed you right up until the last. There is no planet Conundrum.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23957
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.