Agnostic.com

31 23

This is how a church should be. Your thoughts?

As an atheist, I have not been in a church for decades. But this week a friend invited me to the Cascade Unitarian Church.

It was wonderful! I knew nearly everyone and felt loved and welcomed.

The minister's message was about improving the Golden Rule. Treat people as they want to be treated, not how you want to be treated. Over 22 religions have some form of the Golden Rule.

This message resonated with me. I felt centered and grounded. No mention of Jesus.

Members were invited to light a candle and share joys or sorrows. One man talked eloquently about how he refused to accept help and it resulted in loneliness. He spoke of his "trembling and vulnerable heart" and the weight of "carrying the flaming saber of justice."

"Your words hit me in the center of my chest," I told him afterward. I got lots of hugs and enjoyed connecting with old friends. Found two new female hiking partners!

Next week they will celebrate Paganism. I plan to go. This is what church should be: acceptance and connections between people.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was in High School in Denver, I did a program with the Unitarian Church where every weekend for a couple of months we went to a different church service. We did just about every denomination out there. It was interesting and fun.

Looking at earlier posts, I agree with both sides. I was invited to a Unitarian X-mas party and to a 'service' a few years ago. I came away with very mixed feelings. Good people, but not my kind of people.

i have never been christian; i don't go to churches (i mean, to visit, like for the architecture of the history, or a concert, yeah, but "go to church" isn't something i have a history of doing. so why would i want to choose a church and see how a church should be? it all sounds very pleasant if you need a church, and i am not being sarcastic. i don't happen to need one.

g

@genessa

I went for the community.

@LiterateHiker there is nothing wrong with that, if that is what you want. i don't want the community of people in a church. there are other communities.

g

Sounds interesting. Glad you enjoyed.

Four of the US presidents were Unitarians, including John Adams and his son, John Quincy Adams.

Sounds like they know what to emphasize; in a word, community.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:240582
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.