Agnostic.com

28 6

Coolest thing you've seen?

I was driving home from work, and I spotted a big bird munching on some carrion on the median of the highway. As I got closer, I thought, "gee, that's a big bird. Is it some kind of vulture?" But then I got close enough to see that it was a huge BALD EAGLE! I've never seen one around here! Well, except in captivity. And it was right there, about 15 feet from the road! I pulled over, and since there was no traffic, I backed up on the shoulder a bit. I know you're not supposed to do that! But before I stopped, it flew away. I didn't even get a picture 😟 I waited for a bit, but it didn't come back. What's something cool you've seen?

carlyhorton 7 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Grand Canyon

Driving through northern Nevada, passed a lake beneath a snow-capped mountain.
The water was so still, and the reflection so perfect, there was no visible line between the two. The mountain was so perfectly reflected on the water, it looked upside down. I wish I could explain it better. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Watching a meteor shower from the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.

That last Space X heavy lift launch honestly blew me away. Wow
This was not live, but on YouTube. Very inspiring

I would love to see something like that! That is really cool!

The birth of my twins, nothing else comes close

Man, thanks for reminding me ... that’s such an otherworldly experience ..it’s like it never really happened. Both my kids.. Shall I amend my prior post? 🙂

The birth of my twins was a pretty memorable moment for sure. It was a well orchestrated circus!! Lol

@AdorkableMe
There were 5 doctors and 11 nurses in the room with us, I was kind of overwhelmed

@Woodron Ours was very similar! Lol. Our twins were born at 27 weeks weighing 1lb 4oz and 1lb 10oz. 🙂

1. Watching both of my sons being born
  2. Observing the beauty of nature at the parks I have visitied
  3. Observing Halley's' comet give its visit while I was in high school.

A total eclipse of the sun was pretty cool, but I'd say it has to be ball lightning.

I'm in the path of the 2024 eclipse! Looking forward to that! But ball lightening...WOW! That's RARE!

Last year I witnessed the total eclipse in Athens TN. It was like a religious experience. I was with a group of people, and they spontaneously started applauding.

Its always cool to see moose. I once saw a panther in my driveway. I saw the space shuttle blow up (amazing but not cool) I saw Nik Wallenda walk the high wire between 2 sky scrapers. Whales breaching, very cool. The coolest thing? I was at the Epiphany festival in Tarpon Springs Fl. It is Florida but it was a fairly chilly day (Jan. 6th) A bunch of teen aged boys are on row boats in a circle in the lagoon waiting to dive in to retrieve a cross. Retrieving the cross is a great honor. Thousands are gathered to watch the event. While the boys are shivering, waiting for the signal to dive, The Priest is giving a really lengthy mass or blessing or something in Greek (ahhhhh!) when Suddenly an Osprey appears, swoops down and plucks a rather large fish (at least 2ft) out of the lagoon, skipping across the surface of the turquoise water, gradually gaining altitude (weighted down by his large catch) and barely makes it over the palm trees to fly off out of sight. The crowd of onlookers erupted into huge cheers and applause by all. I am an atheist, but all, myself included felt blessed that day.

2 ant colonies fighting over territory..it was savage !
It also lasted 4 days..

Texas Long Horn

Aurora Borealis on a trip to Denali National Park.

I would LOVE to see that!

I watched my granddaughters birth. That was pretty cool.

a pink rainbow

...now you got me thinking birds.. But just prior to that, it was having taken a daughter to see ‘Keiko,’ the Killer Whale and star of Free Willy while he was trapped behind glass in the Oregon Aquarium. “Look at he eye, look at he big brown eye”... said my 4 year old 🙂

..Birdwise, walking behind some tourists along side the reflecting pond in Washington DC when a large (sharp shinned I think) hawk missed hitting them by inches and plucked a park squirrel from the grass. Landed with the squirrel in a tree 4 feet off the ground ..as a dozen of us photographed it from 8 feet away.. ..as a hundred sirens were wailing while ‘the pope’s’ motorcade left for an airport (I’d been visiting the Lincoln Memorial)

Varn Level 8 Feb 13, 2018

I have seen two total solar eclipses. I have seen a tornado up closer than I should have been.

Well, I'm sure impressed!

For me, bird species I've never seen before are the coolest things I've seen. Like this breeding Painted Stork

Leaving work, walking past a lift with a guy working on electrical lines overhead...suddenly a huge ball ofvery bright blue sizzling energy appears, bright as the sun, about 10' wide...kept on sizzling for awhile, and the guy was okay too! Just amazing!

Witchetty grubs in a national park! I thought it was a spider until I got up close. See youtube

Source:

Weird! 🙂

A black panther on my deck looking at me from about 3ft away through my sliding glass door.

A UFO on the "Tesla Roadster" live feed a few nights ago.

I looked up that video. Do you think that was an alien spacecraft?

@carlyhorton it was a UFO for certain. Long object. It was backlit and outlined by the daylight from Earth. The video feed immediately cut out...and the projected orbit graphic took the image's place. Alien? Don't know

A sixteen foot alligator on the banks of the everglades warming up in the sun.

I came home on hunting leave and went to my usual spot with my brother and a friend. I watched a bald eagle drag a poached deer off of the logging road by it's self. This buck was easily 180 lbs. A little later on that day the three of us were in a swampy area not far from the road when we stumbled into the middle of two bull moose squaring off. I was about 10 feet from one, 15 from the other. We slowly backed away and they had it out right in front of us. All in all it was an awesome day.

I've seen golden eagles twice in the 35 years I've lived in West Texas. The first one was setting on a telephone pole just watching us fish. The second one was trying to fly away with a huge bull snake in it's claws. When I drove past him he dropped the snake and flew away. I hope he went back and got his meal.

Not the coolest but pretty cool...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24062
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.