Agnostic.com

13 4

What is your favorite non-English song?

Have you ever felt deeply in love with a song written in a language other than English? Here's my favorite one. It's in Swedish:

I have no idea what it's about, but I can't get enough of it!

LilyProudAtheist 4 Dec 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A Tribe Called Red. Sisters.

I've always felt strongly about this song, but I have no idea what they're saying:

"Chaiya Chaiya," sung in Urdu, from the Bollywood classic "Dil Se." Catchy song, cool lyrics (based on Sufi poetry), and an amazing dance sequence performed atop a moving train ...

Spanish/Portuguese songs in soundtracks seem to get me if used well.

The second one was great!

@LilyProudAtheist yeah thats the most powerful in the bunch for sure, gives ya chills. Just remembered an opera thats really special to me because of how it was used in Shawshank Redemption, Mozart's Marriage of Figaro.

The song, Latet (To give) is sung in Hebrew. The video shows Spanish translation. Below are the lyrics in English:

[lyricstranslate.com]

to give
your soul and your heart
to give
to give when you love
and how does one find the difference
between taking and receiving
you will yet learn to give, to give

to discover hidden secrets
to disentangle the knot
when your heart is crushed inside you
from every smile, from every look

you are careful, you know
and noone but you hears
walks among the subtleties
and fills empty hours

to give
your soul and your heart
to give when you love
you will yet learn to give, to give

you learn with the years
to build buildings together
to live with all the changes
to weave a life story with her

and to go through hard times
with troubles and emotions
to always know to let go
and to preserve the taste

to give...

to see amidst the downfall
that there is room for forgiveness
it's always possible to start again
like a new day, like as usual

to give...

@pepperjones -- She was one of our best and I miss her deeply. Her Yerushalayim shel Zahav is beautiful.

One of her songs that is right up there on my list is Im Nin' Alu. I'm sure you have heard it since she is your favorite, but here it is, just in case:

Die Eier Von Satan

Holy shit! I was just thinking about Rammstein's Ohne Dich.

LOL! Ok. Last.

And another

There are many, but let's start with the classic!

A classic indeed!

Wow! That is also one of my favorite Opeth songs (It's technically a Marie Fredriksson's cover).
My favorite non-English song is a Blues piece written in Persian. It uses "love" as a metaphor to demonstrate anti-establishment sentiments among young Iranians, especially women:

What a great song! She has an AMAZING voice...

These are both religious songs I learned in college and can still sing from memory. (The first is in Yoruban and the second in Latin.)

Buxx Level 7 Dec 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:240938
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.