Agnostic.com

8 0

Scripture for Theist Mother

I need specific Christian scripture to debate with my Mother regarding the way women are/are to be treated according to her god.

Thank you.

Annaleda 8 Dec 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are some good links in the comments below, but you might go at it from a slightly more personal frame of reference as to how the bible wants you to treat your own mother. Ask her if she wants a family forever divided. Is believing that the bible needs to be taken literally worth your love for one another?

Matthew 12:46-50
46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him.
47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”
48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?”
49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers.
50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

Luke 14:26
26 “If anyone comes to Me, and does not [a]hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.

Matthew 10:34-37
34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to turn
“‘ a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[a]

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

And we wonder why so many parents are throwing their kids out when they dare to not believe exactly as the parents do.

gearl Level 8 Dec 10, 2018

Thank you, very much. Going at it from a different angle is a great idea.

Good luck. I looked. A fair amount if husband to wife. Way to much in submission. Check what others here have found. Again, best wishes.

Some of the repliers here seem good. Look those up and also try the Skeptics Annotated Bible online and simply ask it how women are supposed to be treated.

Good luck with any debating with your mother...maybe it would just be best to leave her to her beliefs, I have a feeling you will just get frustrated using logic against her lifelong belief system. If you could agree to differ, and then just keep off the subject I think that would be better for your relationship.

Old or new testament?

There is the test on wives accused of infidelity.
[biblegateway.com]

There is the story of Moses as a war-criminal.
[biblegateway.com]
31 "Moses and Eleazar followed the Lord’s instructions 32-35 and listed everything that had been taken from the Midianites. The list included 675,000 sheep and goats, 72,000 cattle, 61,000 donkeys, and 32,000 young women who had never had sex."

Young women are literally counted as cattle, which is to say nothing of all the grown women - many of them pregnant - slaughtered.

" Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord."
[biblegateway.com]

Religious people will point out it also says husbands have to love their wives, but in my opinion it does not detract from the fact that a man is supposed to govern you, as if you were a child.

I gave up on debating with my mom. Even if I finally get a point accross and she can't deny it I think she just blockage it out a few seconds later and she goes back to square one lol

Regardless of any scriptural references that do not agree with her confirmation bias, she will most likely disregard it and say you are taking it out of context. You can not reach these people.

Should find some good stuff in Deuteronomy and the letters of Paul! Can think off the top of my head but I am sure someone here will have some references.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:241218
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.