Agnostic.com

10 2

How many of you have done voluntary community work? It is something that I have always wanted to do yet have not done it.

For those that have please share with us some of the details.

Shelton 8 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have always worked (paid) with people with disabilities, however, I volunteer for events and provided transportation for those in need. I also volunteer with my mother with aging adults. I also have a good time.

Did tons of it when I was in Brooklyn. Painted the park, prepared and served meals at Senior Center, Adoptions at the shelter (every weekend), collected and delivered supplies after Sandy, Elf at Community Center for annual children's event. Now that I am in Florida I have done volunteer work for political candidates but that's not really community service.

I have done volunteer work in several communities I lived in. I delivered meals on wheels when I lived in Overland Park, KS. It is a good way to give back to the community. I have worked my various girl scout troops my kids were in and done a variety of projects. When I was a church member I organized Vacation Bible School, and worked on committees. I worked with my kids' schools on various things.

I worked a few months at a local church that also was a food bank for the homeless or anyone in need. I am glad I did it but it was very physical and strenuous work unloading trucks, lifting and carrying heavy crates. I don't think I would do that particular job again but I would love to do something less physically taxing.

Have done lots, and still do. Beyond the sheer satisfaction, volunteering has more than once led to both job opportunities and some good friendships - even relationships.

I used to do a lot more. Homeless shelter, food bank and such. The thing I did the most was answer calls on a distress help line. When I first did that, our county only had Crisis during the day. My first suicidal person was daunting. I even got a letter from our governor, not that I intended or wanted to be noticed. Don't do it for those things, but it was nice to be noticed. It should be something you do for your own inner well being.

I sell my art for charity

I have done quite a bit and found it very rewarding. You meet interesting people - both the people you are working with and fellow volunteers and organisers, and feel you are making a contribution. Some volunteering you have to train for - I trained as a volunteer alcohol counsellor - and it was fascinating.

When I was in undergrad I volunteered for a program that provided books to kids in elementary school. I would get a supply of books, one for each child in the class, and I'd bring them to the school, hand them out, and then sit and read it to them. I also volunteered at the St. Louis rape crisis center as a hospital advocate. Every time a woman was raped and was taken to the hospital, an advocate would meet her there for support and to offer services. Every single time, whether reporting or not.

When I was on active duty, I volunteered in a program called Partners in Education, helping school kids with reading and math. Helped me to see how schools were changing how they presented material.

One of my regrets from on active duty, as I volunteer for many things since then, was not going to paint at an orphanage in Korea. My fear of leprosy kept me away. A better understanding, now, of the disease wouldn't prevent me now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:242205
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.