Agnostic.com

29 9

Why do we feel territorial about parking space?

Living in a three-plex, I have two reserved, covered parking spaces. One space for my car; the other for guests.

Have always felt archly amused when normally kind men swear at bad drivers while behind the wheel. Road rage? Not me.

But for the last two days, a Honda sedan has been illegally parked in my second reserved space. Using duct tape, I stuck two notes on the windshield:

"NO PARKING. MOVE THIS CAR NOW."

"Your car is in my parking space. If you don't move your car immediately, it will be towed. Towing is expensive for you."

"I have guests coming for the holidays," I told the building manager. She said the Honda will be towed in 24 hours.

I was suprised by how aggravated and territorial I felt!

"Refugees are starving and you're upset about a spare parking space?" I thought. "Put this in perspective."

The jerk finally moved his car last night. He tore up my notes and threw them on the ground.

After picking up the litter, as is my habit, I breathed a sigh of relief.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm worse. There is just enough room on the public street in front of our house to park one car. But! It's dangerously close to our mailbox.. DANGEROUSLY CLOSE. Whenever anyone parks there, I track them down and tell them; YOU'RE BLOCKING MY MAILBOX. MOVE YOUR CAR." The neighbors are good natured and tell any and all guests/workers to not park in front of old man "Bigpaw's" house.....

ha ha good to know...having a bit of a reputation for being cranky is a good thing...ha ha

@thinktwice
I've let it be known that I've a documented and medicated case of PTSD from "The War". And that I've a CCW (concealed carry weapons) permit. And, my next door neighbor is the Chief of Police and we get along really well. People tend to leave me alone. 😉

@bigpawbullets that should do it! ha ha

@Elganned
Just one USAF security trained German Shepherd.
The rest sounds like an excellent plan.

@Elganned
I'm more familiar with claymores. Land mines might be problematic with our irrigation system.

lol at our office building, we have no assigned parking spaces...and we have more parking spaces than tenants but somehow, we all have our own designated parking spots...I think it is a weird thing as well...sometimes I want to park closer to the building, but I don't want to take the spot where the grey Honda accord parks...I won't be towed, obviously, but out of some weird parking space respect, I park in my spot...third bush on the north side...

At work, i always chose the covered garage that was across the street from convenient, but few spaces near the door in an open lot. I could not be bothered with the addes office politics about parking.

@Lillyfield41 yeah...it is ridiculous, especially when it snows...I park in one of twelve visitor spots now because I have a bad knee and I get dirty looks...uh, we get no visitors...chill, people! ha ha

My self assigned spot is far enough way from the entrance to not violate the customer only parking, yet not all the way out in BFE. There are two smallish oak trees side by side. One has a bird shitter and the other doesn't

I used to park under the bird shitter cuz it is a bigger tree but those birds can shit a lot in 8 to 10 hours. So now I park under the smaller tree which still affords some shade with no bird shit.

It's all about the shade down here

edited to correct another goddam typo

Next time do not leave a note. Have it towed. HE (she?) should have left a note. And if you see the same car, have it done immediately.

Because our vehicles are an extension of ourselves?

Varn Level 8 Dec 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:243358
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.