Agnostic.com

11 0

I'm coming to the realization that there are many liberals here. Please tell me I'm not alone as an independant/libertarian. Maybe we need a group to commiserate!

Taijiguy 6 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m a conservative republican myself with some libertarian ideas. I’ve always favored smaller government and less regulation. Unfortunately there’s a lot of ultra left wing Obama loving liberals on this website. Welcome to the website.

Yes there are.

Libertarian here, what's up brother

Though I am a liberal, I don't like the types that jump down your throat every time you offer a critique. I find that I'm going more in the independent direction and I agree with libertarians on a few things.

This is the group.

I was a libertarian, but the last election I changed to democrat do I could vote the primary. I may go Republican next time so I can keep drumpf of the ticket.

Been a libertarian for about 30 years. Was an actual card holder for a few..

Yes, I don't think libertarian and atheist are incompatible, unless it becomes a kind of anarchism, which for most it isn't. I think conflating libertarianism and conservatism is false. Would you agree?

@David1955 Many think that libertarians are in the middle between reps and dems, I think of it more appropriately as a triangle with each faction in their own corner. Atheism as you well know is the absence of a belief in God. Though many wish to embed their religious beliefs into political ideas they are in fact separate entities. I don't see any way that libertarians could be associated with conservatives without a misunderstanding of what a libertarian actually is. It is much like calling an atheist a Satanist.

@DavidLaDeau Interesting. Duly noted. I'll have to do a bit of reading as well on whether libertarianism is used differently in the US context. The difference as always between literal meaning and colloquial use. Thanks.

Doesn't libertarian mean caring only for yourself, everyone for himself, unbelief in helping others? Just asking.

@GoldenMean A libertarian is a political party. Hopefully this link will help.[lp.org]

@GoldenMean it's more about being responsible for one's actions and decisions. A good example is fema. Many libertarians would like to see fema (along with about 6 other departments) killed off. Why? Because the private sector is a hundred times more effective and efficient at emergency response. You should see how home Depot and Walmart plan for such events. Also, it's insane that taxpayers money is used to help rebuild some house on the ocean after a hurricane. I love how Ron Paul put it, he said if a hurricane tears down your oceanside house, that's just nature's way of telling you, it's expensive to live there.

Yes, I think you're right. Generally speaking, though not exclusively, non believers in religion are also progressive thinkers, or what you call liberals. It kind of goes with the territory. Not surprisingly.

@DavidLaDeau @jlynn37 Love the Faux News term. Cute. Wish I'd thought of it. Faux is more like situation comedy than news. Like Frazier, but with no humanity (or a Niles) 🙂

May I suggest Faux News for you.

You could never get phake news from Faux News!

You should celebrate the fact that we have sufficient diversity in thought on this site to have a healthy dialogue, providing that all are willing to be civil and agree to abide by the boundaries of rational discourse Yet, you want to create a group of "true believers" who only want to talk among themselves and reinforce their chosen dogma.

I totally disagree with the establishment of such groups.

You win the internet today.

I don't see any problem with a conservative group here, if that's what they want. I know I won't be stopping by though.

And yet a group called Trump pinata exists. Just saying...

@David1955 libertarians aren't conservative.

I'm not a liberal. Nor a democrat. I'm getting really tired of all the fucking assumptions.
Btw, I've taught auto-correct to recognize 'fucking'.

Well that's something.

@Biokemfem Nope. Just kept typing it in, and typing it in, and every time auto-correct would try to change it, I'd change it back. They don't call 'em "smart" phones for nothin'!!!

There's a private group feature recently started. You should start a private group here for those interested.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24375
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.