Agnostic.com

11 3

What were you.

How did you identify in high school? And did you move past that or are you still like that?

Mokvon 8 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was very shy and I went to four different high schools. That made it difficult to make friends. When I did make friends, they were usually close friends. Then I would move...

Now l I'm very outgoing. I talk to people all the time and I try to get to know people a little before forming a solid opinion about them.

It's complicated. I was a science geek and nerd who had been abused by mother and her lovers; although, at the time I didn't realize I'd been abused. I'm still a geek and nerd, but I've moved past the abuse. Though, childhood abuse always affects a person in some ways, but it is possible to stop the suffering and be content.

Same. Yes it does change a person but recovery is possible.

@Dandewine Our definition of recovery may differ. I cannot know I'm recovered totally, but have recovered mostly.

A science geek who was also a three sport athlete.

We all hate you. Thank you for sharing.

In high school I was small, handicapped and a geek, you can imagine how that worked out.
Today, I'm still small, handicapped and a geek, but I'm comfortable and confident with that. College had a large impact on moving beyond what others thought and how I treated myself.

You sound better adjusted the me.

@Mokvon I'm not sure of that. All I can really say is that I'm better adjusted to myself than I was in high school. I don't think any other comparison works well, we are all different individuals with different paths none are necessarily any better than others.

How did I identify myself?
Good student, well-behaved, smart, studious, shy, artsy, musical, nerdy.

How was I identified by others?
Teacher's pet, goody-goody, brain, nerd, loner, awkward, quiet, easy target.

Not much has changed, on either front. I've opened up and become somewhat more vocal; the accompanying shift in the external perception seems to have gone from "Ignore or opportunistically pick on that quiet loser nerd" to "Seethe with resentment toward or actively undermine that overconfident, know-it-all bitch."

@kenriley hey TYVM 🙂. That's kind

ETA: I'm much cooler on the internet 😉

A Freak & a Geek, & still cool as hell!

@kenriley Thank you, sir!

Geek, loner, and artsy. I hung out in the drama and art departments. The difference I'm no longer a geek or a loner. Okay, I'm no longer a loner. 🙂

Very much the same here. Still mostly a loner, though, and prefer it that way.

My wife broke me away from being a loner, mostly. She's understanding about the the times I slip back into loner mode.

@ErgodicMage she sounds amazing congratulations. We all hope for this.

HS I was a photo/music/HiFi/PA/electronics nerd (not a social creature). Although orchestra, bands and theater followed who I am for a few decades after HS, at this time I am no longer active in bands, orchestra, theater or choir. Still into electronics/HiFi occasional photo and have added a projector and acoustically treated theater with a 205" screen to the HiFi association. Really wish I had all the speakers I had back in HS. Some really nice professional equipment that would cost many thousands of dollars to replace with the same. Guess I am still a nerd at heart.

A gaming friend of mine has a sound room in his house just for listening to music.

@ErgodicMage I have spent more time listening (projector off) to movies or cd's or hd radio in my theater then watching them. Usually only fire up the projector when I have guests. Seats 21 in main area but the most I have had at one time was 17. It really does take a room dedicated to sound. Bass traps, absorption panels, huge speakers, racks of amplifiers, not a thing you would want in any other room.

Hmm a geek and a nerd. Still a geek and a nerd - but more interested in humans than I was then.

They were pretty damn bitey people in High School. I like to think they improved somewhat. Most of them did in fact. Some of them got worse.

That's Humanity for you.

I was home schooled ...

i was painfully shy, persecuted by antisemites who threw pennies at me, a bookworm and mostly asleep. now i am no longer shy at all, not afraid to stand up to antisemites, islamophobes or anyone else who persecutes people unfairly (that excludes trump: he deserves persecution and prosecution!) a theoretical bookworm with bad eyes and mostly asleep. well, three out of four ain't bad.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:245387
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.