Agnostic.com

16 3

What is the most important trait you seek in a friend?

I demand that my friends...my true friends are irreverent. When it comes to the people I trust the most I need to know that they are ready and willing to question all mores, credos, and belief systems. I need and crave friends who can talk about anything, question everything, and laugh at ourselves. As such I don't have many good friends.

wanderartist 4 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not intellectual not spiritualism but true intelligence.........the ability to think both laterally and vertically and understands what this means.

Khmm Level 5 Feb 21, 2018

Honesty, openness and a willingness to accept me for who I am, exactly what they can expect from me.

As far as I can remember even though my friends are scattered all over the British Isles and we don't talk much except on facebook I still love every one of them to bits Some I havent seen in years abd they are still my friends in my book ,(not so for my family,)

Trust and a sense of humor. You can't bond without trust; and when people can't laugh at themselves and their idols, they are miserable to be around, as they're always afraid. You have to be able to talk about most anything--and know it's in confidence.

Humor. My humor is dry, a little eclectic, and it's difficult to find someone who understands and appreciates it.

Loyalty is the singly most important part of any true friendship. True friends are extremely hard to come by. I have had maybe 5 in my entire life. Thousands of acquaintances.

Loyalty

Khmm Level 5 Feb 16, 2018

Depends on what is meant by "friend." I can be friends with anyone of any age for any reason, including animals.

I have work peer friends, companions for particular hobbies and activities, friends with the same values who work on causes with me, fellow book enthusiasts, etc. As for side-kicks, I've had many, but not for too long, as life circumstances reshuffled us.

But for a side-kick, I value an intelligent, humorous, fearless, adventurous person, up for anything. I've had a few of those during my lifetime.

With me, the issue is their word. No one can keep every promise but gosh, some people seem unable to plan even 5 minutes ahead.

In my life I call them family.

Reciprocity of effort.

Me. Priority one actually. Without my gene, they will be strangers that know my name.

Calm, Intellect, Compassion, Informed

Someone you can trust, fight with, but you always know they will be there for you.

cava Level 7 Feb 15, 2018

Laughter and having fun I remember a quote from Emma Goldman 'If I can't dance I am not coming to your revolution!'

I like a friend that listens to what you have to say.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24635
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.