Agnostic.com

15 3

Do you forgive easily or is it difficult for you to let go when you feel wronged?

• 8 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 32 votes
Shelton 8 Dec 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me, it depends on the magnitude and if there was intentional deception of any kind involved. Forgiveness is such an abstract concept, to my mind. What is it, a feeling? An action? A choice? You cannot choose to forgive someone if your feelings are in conflict with that choice. I also think that a lot of people confuse not forgiving someone with holding a grudge. There's a big difference in putting someone behind you because they revealed themselves as a total shit and letting them dwell in your head rent-free.

That said, a long time ago, a former boyfriend came to my house, straight out of the blue. We hadn't dated for a long time, but there were shenanigans on his part. I hadn't really thought about him that much, and in fact, I understood that he was pretty screwed up, and why. He very sincerely asked for my forgiveness. I experienced a feeling for which there is no word. I'm sure the Germans have one, but there is not an adequate descriptor in the English language. I felt lighter and freer, as though I'd cast off a weight I didn't know I had been carrying around. I dunno, it was such a rush. A rush of warm feelings toward him. So I know what forgiveness feels like; I just haven't felt that way many times, because most people do not go out of their way to sincerely apologize.

It's the magnitude, mostly. A lie or a cheat, I'll walk away...I'll continue to speak to the person, but they'll never have my trust again.
Physical harm; I'll walk (crawl, slide, etc...) away, I'll make sure the perpetrator is behind bars and they'll never get a kind wish from me again.
Anything more than that; they'd deserve a bullet between their eyes. No forgiveness, no mercy, no understanding...even though I may have the capability to "understand" and put myself in their shoes; there'd be no excuse good enough to warrant forgiveness.

As far as my children; always...I will be angry, but I will remember that I'm setting the example to communicate. Thankfully, none of my children have done anything heinous to anyone else (or to me), so I truly couldn't tell you what I would do, if they did harm someone else (or me) with malicious intent.

It definitely depends on the magnitude of what was done. If someone deliberately does something bad or evil to me I do not forgive them. If that person was close to me I would be very sad but I only surround myself with people of good character so that seldom happens. In the case of being seriously wronged I just try and get past the act and then do what I can to completely eliminate them from my life.

OCJoe Level 6 Dec 22, 2018

Depends if it's a coworker, boss, friend, or family... My kids will be forgiven no matter what. I'll bitch about it tho and I can hold a grudge like mf ?

No reason not to forgive. It only hurts yourself. I rarely think about others holding a grudge against me

I forgive rather easily, but tend to sever contact with those who repeat in doing me wrong. Have been wronged plenty of times already, part of the reason why I'm an introvert who at times appears to be anti-social.

Again, it depends. First off I don't think I could ever forget a serious offense but could try and understand. Acceptance and going on requires a serious commitment from the other person. However, some things require a termination of the relationship. To me, forgiveness means being able to move on.

You needed a 4th option--I spend the rest of my life plotting their demise.

Carin Level 8 Dec 19, 2018

I don't think forgiving and/or forgetting is necessarily always the best response. I was raised by black-belts in grudge holding so I usually try not to. HOWEVER, if someone has tried deliberately to injure me or my family, then I remember the event so as not to put us at risk again.

I never forgive or forget. I just move on. Trust is easy to gain and easy to lose with me.

it depends on how badly I've been wronged I don't get out of shape about much unless its really bad though I never forget. I haven't got a huge trunk and ears for nothing lol.

Usually I can forgive most things anywhere from hours to weeks within an incident. But the hardest thing for me to forgive is betrayal, which I define as deceit or a lie. Of course there are varying degrees of this but it hits me hard and can take months or even years to get over.

I know this feeling all too well.

@Sgt_Spanky Sorry you've had the experience... it's no fun.

I forgive and try to forget what I'm going through trying to sell my house. Have to evict my daughter who will not leave.

I'm sorry. It seems like its gonna be a long process

It makes no difference to me, I have never been able to hold a grudge. It must just be in my nature, nothing to do with the Christian concept of turning the other cheek, as I’ve never been a believer.

That's great! I wonder sometimes if this is in part a learned trait? I know my mother held grudges and I use to be like that, but I work very hard on changing my outlook.

@BeeHappy I’m really not sure...I think it may just be part of our personality.

It depends on many factors. Was it intentional? Was it an error or mistake? If it was intentional, it depends on the gravity of the wrong. But, if intentional, I don't forget the wrong, and I judge the person accordingly.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:247369
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.