Agnostic.com

7 2

Anyone here a psychotherapist?

This interests me alot. I hear that in order to become a psychotherapist you are required to go through the experience of therapy yourself. The idea of self anallysation and self improvement is something that I really want to undestand more. Can anyone recomend a book or 2 to get started. I have no educational background in psychology but it is something I want to learn about

RobH86 7 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Was; but there are many different kinds of psychotherapy - (which really just means help for the mind) there is Jungian -Person Centred Rogerian, Reichian, Co Counselling ,Transactional Ananlysis, Person Centred Creative Expressive Therapy, Hot tub rebirthing, rebirthing breathwork , and about 100 others I'd go to an alternative bookstore and browse and see what hooks your imagination it helps if you know what sort of therapy you'd like to engage in, like bodywork to release tension or ,thoughtful self analysis, or creative expression.

A psychoanalyst is a PhD level therapist with post graduate training in psychoanalysis including their own psychoanalysis. This is the only discipline where the practitioners are required to get their own therapy. Since you go 4-5x week for years, it is a field for the wealthy, by the wealthy. It is pretty uncommon these days.

No you don't have to go through psychotherapy yourself to be a therapist. You do have to get your Masters degree, plus supervised hours and a test to be a licensed therapist. Specifics vary from state to state.

Just looking into the idea of taking a course in it maybe at the open university

Have you considered becoming a combination analyst and therapist?

I would suggest all videos by FarFromAverage on youtube.

thanks

You might want to start with an "Intro to Psychology" book from your local library?

Psychoanalysis goes strongly into Freud and was not a big turn on for me in the 1980's - I doubt there are any Freudians left in the US? But you never know.

If you read an intro. book you'll have a good grasp of the various players and be able to pick something you might enjoy even more.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is pretty popular right now.

Oh not a Psychoanalyst - just a B.A. In Psych.

Freud was a perv!

And a quack@A2Jennifer

As many of them as I’ve seen, you’d think I’d be overqualified. lol

I'm really hoping you saw therapists and not Psychoanalysts because you'd come away going "It was my parents - it was ALL my parents". 😉

I saw one once 30 something years ago and left the appt. going "It's not all my parents fault? What is he talking about!".

But it was my parents fault. 😉. @RavenCT Just kidding. Yes, psychotherapist, with emphasis on psycho. Not that’s all are psycho. Just the ones I apparently saw. Got there degree from a Cracker Jack box apparently.

@ChrisJones My condolences!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24844
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.