Agnostic.com

12 3

Trying to reconcile a quandry

Why is it that the more religious people are the more racist they are and the less willing for the government to give a hand up to those less fortunate?

misstuffy 7 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's simple. All religious people consider themselves to be the CHOSEN by GOD, and therefore Good. By exclusion, all others are BAD. Extending this illogic makes it easy to hate anyone different.

I think religion is itself bigoted.

Your question hits home in my family. ...my father was Pentacostal and severely racist while my mom was lily white and Methodist. ...I did not want to be like either of them. ...I rebelled from religious bigotry racism and sexism in our culture of lies that brainwashes children bribes children and I just said no to Santa boy Ishtar bunnies laying candy eggs on dogshit lawns. ...

The more religious, the more insular the person. The less empathy for the outsider. The very religious, I think, feel very alone in a hostile world. They reflect this in attitude. Also your assumption would seem to be that they should be more moral, caring and open than anyone else.

Not more caring but also not less.

Because, being chosen by Gawd, they are "special", and you (plural "you" ) are not.

very succinct and very accurate observation Anne

I think because its all about 'fear of the masses' when you have a world history such as the russian or french revolution etc. its sort of clear to me, that the 'haves' are going to try to keep the have nots down but will be very afraid of us because once we get going who knows what might happen? And there are more of us than there are of them - religion is a tenuous knot to tie yourself to (look at how knotty the U.S got over cuba) in England Guy Fawkes and the peasants revolt, shat a few people up.Its always about greed and trying to have more than the next person because life is inherently vulnerable and people try to beat the bank- sorry for all the mixed metaphors its how it came out of my head!

I also think it is their belief that they are Gods chosen and those of us who do not share their beliefs don't deserve a decent life because we are not one of their own.

I think it goes to a basic question as to why a religion like Christianity is seemingly inherently conservative, politically, socially, economically, and culturally. That includes regressive attitudes towards creating social and economic equality. To those who shout at this, I ask how many Christian organizations do you immediately think of as progressive? Christian political parties - conservative; Christian social groups - conservative; Christian representative groups - conservative. Catholic Church, evangelists etc etc -- conservative. Odd, since their supposed founder 'Jesus' was a zealot, apparently, who challenged authority - according to their myth. In my view it has nothing to do with their history, but with the religious mind, which retreats into conservative, anti progressive thinking. Why is something I'm still researching and reading about. Psychology and neurology, I think.

I put the religious fundamentalists into the "us v. them" group of folks who spend a lifetime trying to separate everyone else into being "them" and reserving "us" for their closest friends & relatives.

Depends on the religion.
Thai Buddhists have universal health coverage, and are kind to most races of people, although the government has a poor track record in helping immigrants.

I know nothing of Buddhists, my observations are mostly of the fundamentalist Christians around me

@misstuffy They are only one of thousands of world religions, although the main western one.

There is an active genocide that have been carried out and is still being carried out by the Myanmar government against the Muslim minority Rohingyas ethnic group. The country and the government are Buddhists. No religion is exempt from committing atrocities.

@noworry28 Like I said, the government (usually somewhat nonreligious) persecutes other religions/races and immigrants, but the general Thai Buddhist population doesn't, as a rule. Most schools I've taught here in southern Thailand, on the border of Muslim Malaysia, even have two different school morning ceremonies; one led by a Buddhist student where they chant Buddhist blessings, and a Muslim student, where they say Muslim things. I can only tell the two religions apart in the classroom by the clothing..the Muslim girls wear a head scarf, and the boys wear long pants instead of khaki shorts.

I think that saying all people of religion are racist is a bit too sweeping. It'd be no different if you said all atheists are racist, or all agnostics, or all <insert group here> are racist. We just need to find one example that isn't and voila, whole argument blowed up!

That said, there seems to be a troubling confluence of deeply religious people, especially in the South of the US, that are racist. Worse, they don't know it. The 'confluence' I am arguing for, though, also includes a lack of science and critical thinking skills.

These people are home schooled, or schooled in a Betsy DeVoss style convent of education. Ok, that was an uncalled for ad hominem attack (I think) but the point is that I expect the teachings in most schools that are faith based are, if not anti-science, are at least fundamentalist AND are teaching creationism sorts of things, and with, I expect, admonitions like "don't you dare ask questions about this!"

Where am I going? Oh, yeah: basically, I think the racism part is not just due to religion, but to being trained that way and in no small part because they are living in an area that was not only pro-slavery but had that institution as it's backbone for a long time before change came along... and then, quite literally, fought against that change and are STILL claiming that wrong was done to their way of life (and that they will rise again)!

It's a morass. But, it's not just the fervently religious folks who are racists. It's just that the fervent in an area of misaligned education are and it skews the way we think about the rest.

First of all I NEVER SAID ALL. I said the more religious they are the more racist they are. It's an observation. I do agree with the rest of your observations. They are raised to be this way and don't even know they are racist and classist as well. They seem to be against every government program designed to give people a hand up in life.

@misstuffy Point. Mea Culpa.

It's a threat to their position if they have to be care takers. They'd rather just be takers.

I always believed they just don't like the idea that others who may not share their beliefs might actually have a decent life.

@misstuffy and be decent people.

@farmboy2017 thats the thing, around here when someone needs help these so called Christians just gossip and run them down, up to and including the pastor. This is especially true if they are poor, I mean really really poor or having troubles.

I think it's because they want to belong to an exclusive club where they are the "special" ones and those who are different for whatever reason (race, socioeconomic status) can just take what's left over once they're done. It's pretty much a case of people trying to build themselves up by knocking others down. It's horrible behavior, but they have a "get out of hell free" card just because they "believe" the right thing, so they don't feel guilty about it either.

I think your answer is probably the best one so far. I agree with you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.