Agnostic.com

32 7

Would you rather have a horrible job, but be able to retire comfortably in 10 years or have your dream job, but have to work until the day you die?

Crimson67 8 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life, I'll take the latter 🙂

To the day I die....loving what I do

I think it's really important to find happiness and fulfillment in our work. While the idea of retiring comfortably in 10 years sounds tempting, I would lean towards pursuing my dream job instead. Doing something you love for a lifetime can bring so much joy and satisfaction. Plus, who wants to spend their days doing a job they hate? So, my advice would be to go after your dreams, even if it means working until you're old and grey. Remember, life is all about the journey, not just the end goal. If you're passionate about something, go for it! And hey, if you ever need any advice or guidance along the way, feel free to reach out. Sometimes it's helpful to Become an Apprentice. Just my thoughts.

dream job forever is not a job at all.
my dream job? Lazy-Boy test pilot.

good thinking

I left the Military with less than 9 years from retirement to pursue my dream job. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Marz Level 7 Feb 16, 2018

I chose to have a nice job which is OK most of the time so far where I will probably have to work until I reach the official retirement age, which hopefully is some years before I die.

Problem is that most people do not really have a choice.

Problem is that we have advanced so far technologically that we could actually provide for everyone to have a decent life without their jobs needing to be horrible. We just choose, as a society, not to do that and instead go on with the eternal struggle of competing in an ultra-capitalist madhouse that will go on to sort us into fewer and fewer ultra-rich ones and more and more ever poorer ones. Otherwise called "The American Dream".

It's not a job if you love it. I'm an artist and never want to stop.

I would rather be happy now than take the chance of dropping dead right after they hand me my gold watch

If it's a dream job , I would work till I just couldn't work anymore . However , I would have to have something to retire on , when I could no longer work .

Dougy Level 7 Feb 16, 2018

My dream job would, by definition, include a comfortable life style. So, of course I'd take the dream job. Sorta like being paid to eat ice cream.

I've had my dream job. I'd rather do that until the day I die.

dream job

Actually, this is a choice one shouldn't have to make.

Well. At my age dream job but if you asked me that when I was 18, the horrible job would be a lock. I've had horrible jobs and I joke that retirement for me involves a shovel.

I'm pretty much doing my dream job (finally with someone who openly appreciates my talents) because it took me so long to find my way into this plum situation, I'll probably be doing it 'til they pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers ..

Dream job. I'd be healthier doing what I love to do!!! I don't chase money.

If it were a dream job, I don't think it'd be "work." Or so they say. Never had a job I loved that much. But I'll take the dream.

I'd rather be in a job that I enjoy. If you enjoy your job then it's not like working. I'd never want to retire completely. Great question!

I loved my job, co-works, office, vendors and of course my customers. I could have worked anther five years but I decided I could take my senior partners attitude about politics and immigration.

So here I am.

This question illustrates a confusion of terms. Toil is always work. Work isn't always toil. Real work, in the best sense of the term isn't merely 'an exchange of some of this for some of that'. We become less for having performed toil in a strict commodity exchange. We quickly tire and lose energy in the execution of toil. We become more for having worked in addition to the exchange of mutual value. Real work energizes and inspires to do even more. It is a pleasurable activity in and of itself. The greatest scientist of the 20th. Century framed it well. "Love, work and knowledge are the wellsprings of our life. They should also govern it."

Didn't some unflappable optimist say that "you don't have a job if you love what you do" ?

Dream job.

I don't know what I'd do with myself if I could retire at 41! The stress of working a horrible job for that long isn't worth it to me. I'd much rather have a job I love and am passionate about and have to work until the good lord (lol) takes me.

I’d like to be a video game tester while being a personal trainer and one of those people that get paid to eat out and test other customer oriented businesses on the side. If I could do the 10 years first as an option, I would, in case I was unable to work anymore.

My initial thought is to love what I am doing until I die. May want to live longer that way

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25015
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.